stocking up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I am stocking a few bullet and shell items and had a thought. All are lead. I am considering an ample supply with the thoughts my grandchildren may benefit more than I. It crosses my mind that the state or country could outlaw lead for hunting and or shooting and this inventory would then be of no use of limited use. Anyone like to share a thought on this matter.

Great topic, Maryland is proposing a bill to outlaw lead hunting projectiles. Although I don’t think it will pass and I’m pretty stocked on lead core handloads and bullets. I can’t imagine that you wouldn’t be allowed to use lead ammo at your range since most do lead recovery. Be interesting to see though.

Im in new york and they want to ban lead ammo on all public land, and or land in watershed areas if I read it correct....just look at the federal laws of no lead shot for migratory bird hunting...
its another way to gun control....high cost of non leaded ammo vs lead...with all the new laws and costs I know some people will just give up and not shoot....

Lead bullets and fishing lures are again on Minnesota's legislature's hate list this session so your concerns may be well founded. This issue has had its ass kicked for several years and hopefully will continue to get it's ass kicked.

Now for me personally, I stumbled upon the Barnes XPB bullets while simply just trying new stuff with the .50 cal Accura V2. They shot so accurate that I decided to see what they'd do on deer and was pleasantly surprised that they didn't turn 40% of the deer to mush so I kept using them in that gun. Then the Optima pistol was loaded with them and the Kodiak .45 found out that the 195 grain Expanders were good medicine. In these three guns, all BH shooters, the perform wonderfully and I'm happy to take the pass on lead. Now I have a smokeless toy and took deer with it last fall using that 195 grain Expander and it too does its job without creating a mess.

I can see states outlawing lead bullets for hunting and maybe that's a good thing..... I'm still out to lunch on a lot of the so called facts that the anti's bring to the table on the subject. I could give a rip if the range I shoot at nixes lead bullets.... I 'll reserve my shooting for the cabin yard where I haven't really got an issue with lead.

Personally I see lead being banned in hunting scenarios across the states. Maybe it'll take a bit of time but I do think it will come. I have a box in a closet with about 50 pounds of Barnes trinkets in that will see me thru hunting for whatever years I have left so I guess one could say I am prepared if lead-free arrives. I have another such box of various XTPs for range use, and I do not think that any lead -free legislation will ever reach the gun club. That said, I think its prudent to stock up on both, if not for yourself, your kids' futures

The lead issue is squarely on hunting NOT shooting in general. One of the main issues is lead in gut piles that other animals then eat and get sick & die from.

I for one have no issues shooting copper. Copper bullets are now higher performing than lead in many ways. There is zero concern from Lead free ammo advocates (scientists who study the effects of this for a living) to limit lead ammo for all other types of shooting. I plink away all year with lead at the range and then use a small amount of copper for the hunt.

In my opinion (take it for what it's worth) In the grand scheme of things the cost is inconsequential compared to how expensive the rest of hunting is.

I would much rather my grand children have intact nature and a healthy echo system to hunt in than lead hunting bullets.

This is surprising to me but Congress is actually moving a bill thru that is suppose to allow lead for hunting and fishing .I am not up on the details but a google search should give you some info It seems it will pass muster as of now

Good to know gunnut. Im ok with taking care of the environment and Ive been shooting Barnes bullets (and others) since they came out.

Side topic. I am always disappointed to hunt or fish and find trash from careless people. Last year I fished a new to me trout stream and there were worm containers, candy wrappers, and oh yeah, a beer can or two. You would think trout fisherman would be a little more caring for the environment. I fish a harbor on Lake Huron a few times a year and on my way out pick up old plastic ice bags, lure containers, line. We have a great state and these idiots throw trash out or leave it behind. I also like on a major Michigan hwy. When I mow lawn I cant believe the cans, bottles, fast food bags, and just plain garbage that gets tossed out.

Sorry, its just irritating.

Last edited:
Good to know gunnut. Im ok with taking care of the environment and Ive been shooting Barnes bullets (and others) since they came out.

Side topic. I am always disappointed to hunt or fish and find trash from careless people. Last year I fished a new to me trout stream and there were worm containers, candy wrappers, and oh yeah, a beer can or two. You would think trout fisherman would be a little more caring for the environment. I fish a harbor on Lake Huron a few times a year and on my way out pick up old plastic ice bags, lure containers, line. We have a great state and these idiots throw trash out or leave it behind. I also like on a major Michigan hwy. When I mow lawn I cant believe the cans, bottles, fast food bags, and just plain garbage that gets tossed out.

I used to live on a main road in a residential area and could fill a 5 gallon bucket with trash along the road before I cut grass now I live on a cul-de-sac and have no trash to p/u

I went to buy some powder and was told they were out of it, but hopefully they will have it in a few weeks, but it would cost another $20 more due to the rates went up in January

Bingo, Part of the reason I want to accumulate some supplies. Ill do better than the interest rate and know I will have it when II want it. Im 68 so Ill not use a ton of stuff from here on out but I want my twilight years to be filled with smoke and things that go bang. Even if I have to sit in my wheel chair on the porch.

That garbage issue is everywhere. A couple weeks ago some idiot left a case off beer bottles in in the case along side the curb in front of out house, but still in the street. I was going to grab it and toss it in the recyclable barrel, but some other idiot decided to park there and drove OVER the whole case of bottles. with his shiny pick-up. I mean, you can't see a case of beer in the road. Hid flat tire was almost adequate retribution. Almost. After he was gone I went out and swept the mess up and then hit the appropriate barrel.

The lead issue is squarely on hunting NOT shooting in general. One of the main issues is lead in gut piles that other animals then eat and get sick & die from.

I for one have no issues shooting copper. Copper bullets are now higher performing than lead in many ways. There is zero concern from Lead free ammo advocates (scientists who study the effects of this for a living) to limit lead ammo for all other types of shooting. I plink away all year with lead at the range and then use a small amount of copper for the hunt.

In my opinion (take it for what it's worth) In the grand scheme of things the cost is inconsequential compared to how expensive the rest of hunting is.

I would much rather my grand children have intact nature and a healthy echo system to hunt in than lead hunting bullets.
A lead ban for hunting puts every 1:60 and slower twist rate rifle out of business. Lead free works with waterfowl hunting because shotguns don't have rifling. Doesn't mean it can be scaled up and applied to guns with rifled barrels.

You can't stuff a copper ball down the muzzle of a muzzleloader. Nor any other type of hard material. Nor can sabots be used because they cannot be spun fast enough in 1:60 and slower twist rates to stabilize the bullet.

So many selfish tree hugging hunters willing to witness the screwing over of other hunters. As long as they can shoot, no one else matters. The division within the 2A community continues.

Bu bu but, it's for the children. And grandchildren.

Last edited:
Im in new york and they want to ban lead ammo on all public land, and or land in watershed areas if I read it correct....just look at the federal laws of no lead shot for migratory bird hunting...
its another way to gun control....high cost of non leaded ammo vs lead...with all the new laws and costs I know some people will just give up and not shoot....
That's a feature. Not a bug.

Giving up shooting due to cost is the whole idea behind banning lead projectiles.

Has nothing to do with protecting and saving anything. Only the truly gullible buy into the lead banning B.S.

The gun grabbing trash is coming at us from all directions.

Last edited:
A lead ban for hunting puts every 1:60 and slower twist rate rifle out of business. Lead free works with waterfowl hunting because shotguns don't have rifling. Doesn't me it can be scaled up and applied to guns with rifled barrels.

You can't stuff a copper ball down the muzzle of a muzzleloader. Nor any other type of hard material. Nor can sabots be used because they cannot be spun fast enough in 1:60 and slower twist rates to stabilize the bullet.

So many selfish tree hugging hunters willing to witness the screwing over of other hunters. As long as they can shoot, no one else matters. The division within the 2A community continues.

Bu bu but, it's for the children. And grandchildren.
Well i dont have children(or grandkids) afaik. I do plan to continue casting and shooting lead, regardless of bans. Stop me IF they can catch me.

That's a feature. Not a bug.

Giving up shooting due to cost is the whole idea behind banning lead projectiles.

Has nothing to do with protecting and saving anything. Only the truly gullible buy into the lead banning B.S.

The gun grabbing trash is coming at us from all directions.
I agree 100%..it has nothing to do with protecting wildlife from lead....they say lead is killing off bald eagles..but bald eagles are off the endangered species list and are thriving..but they have an agenda and the best way they push it is if it saves 1 life its worth it..or its to prorect animals..

Take a drive to Galena Illinois. Galena got its name after the ore they mined to smelt for lead in the area. Thriving area. The old and the new. No one is dying from lead poisoning. As for the wildlife, in the big scheme of things, eagles and loons dying from lead ingestion are a small part the over-all equation but somehow find themselves at the front and center. Call these idiots on it. Make them prove otherwise. They cannot. Its all about audience and if one isn't given to them they have zip.

Back