AR QUESTION

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronco2

Reaction score
Anyone have a AR? i have 2 now and one will be here monday and i just traded for one this evening.  wish i wouldnt have order the new one now.. i dont know anything about them. wondering if  any one could help me to understand them a little more..thanks

What do you want to know?  I think something that is critical to know is which caliber did you purchase. The barrel should have markings on it for what it is chambered for. If it says 5.56 you can use military surplus ammo and .223 Remington ammo. If it only says .223 you cannot use 5.56 ammo in it without causing damage or blowing up the gun. Do not look at what the receiver says it will be marked on the barrel. 
They are very simple to take apart and you can pretty much reconfigure almost anything on it. Don't like the stock it can be switched out to something else easily by using an AR wrench. If you want accessories put a rail on front and all picatinny mounted accessories can be mounted. Scope use is much easier on a flat top receiver and using a AR scope base which will raise it to a comfortable height and make it to where you still can operate the charging handle. 
I'm sure others will chime in on here but AR15.com has a ton of info for this platform.

Like he said, make sure of the caliber of your guns, they come in many different calibers but 5.56 is by far the most common. Some of those different calibers require dedicated magazines.

There is one exception to Biddler2's comments. A 223 Wylde chamber can SAFELY fire 5.56 NATO rounds. That is a match grade chamber with a longer leade to allow for longer high ballistic coefficient bullets. There is nothing special or different in the strength of the metal used for 5.56 vs 223, they are the same, only the shape of the chamber where the bullet portion resides is different.

Correct Mark on the Wylde chamber but I didn't want to muddy the waters since he said he knew nothing about them. Plus Wylde chamber isn't as common as the 5.56 or .223 Remington. I know Rock River uses it but not sure if any of the major manufacturers use it. My AR is a 5.56 chamber so I don't have to worry about it.

hello guys. i went with a safeside tactical ar. made right here in virginia. they came with a 3 year warranty and they guaranty it to shoot 200 yards. seems to be a great gun.. and didnt cosr a arm and a leg like most of them do..thanks

What rate of twist is the barrel? This will determine what weight of projectile will work best for accuracy. I have a 1-9 and 62/63 grain are optimal. I can shot the 69 Sierra match kings and they are very accurate. I'm at the edge of the window with my twist though. A 1-7 would be better for the heavier bullet. 
Most AR-15 are inherently accurate for type of rifle it is. They aren't bolt action accurate without spending a bunch of money but for the energy of the cartridge they all will work in that range. 
I think you will enjoy your new rifle, they are fun to shoot. I normally would suggest getting one of the 22LR clones like the Smith & Wesson 15-22 to practice with to save money but since 22LR ammo is still nonexistent it doesn't make sense. The stores around me have .223 coming out of their ears.

i have the mossburg ar 22. and my rifle has the 1-7 twist barrel on it.

Latest posts

Back