Archery Training

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Well now that I have finally got my equipment squared away, time to focus on training. First my goal, that is simple, outshoot my son. He is darn good, has great fundamentals, and he has a good marksmanship background ( wonder how that happened?). Plus he has great physical conditioning. He has also been shooting archery for years. So the bar is pretty high.
Somethings I am doing to improve my game.
1. I bought a book " Precision Archery" and have been studying that, it was written by Olympic shooters. lots of great info.
2. I have been trying to strengthen my lower back, I found out real quick this is where it all starts with archery. Aching muscles told me that on day one of shooting. A visit to my local chiroquacker got me some good exercises to do, and I am doing them.
3. Warm ups. I got a surgical tubing and use it to warm up first, it is very helpful;I included a couple pics.
100_0158.jpg

100_0159.jpg

4. Shoot often, but keep sessions short. I am up to about 30 arrows before I call it quits, the last set of 5 or 6 is getting shaky, so rather then learn bad habits I quit for awhile.

So what do you guys do to train besides shoot? Anything?
Just trying to learn as much as I can,
thanks Rman

Try shooting 3 shot groups, much less fatigue involved.

Practice distance estimation. This winter shoot an archery league. You might want to turn your poundage down a little. Go to local archery events and shoot. I shoot mainly 3-D at unmarked yardage. So I use 2 bloch targets set around 10 yards apart I try to shoot a few arrows eveyday at different distances mainly 20-40 yards I should hit the black square on the first arrow then I go to a different distance. Here is one that you might be able to get your son on. from a wopping distance of 3 yards shoot at a mark. dont hold low with the 20 pin you will probably have to use your 30 or 35 yard pin to hit it right on.try it and then challenge your son to it if he has not tried such a close shot you might win that contest. It is going to be tough to out archery someone with a lot more years of shooting under their belt.
Good shootin
Joe Name

Joe, great idea on the 3 yard shot.
I challenged JR last night to two different matches. First match was one shot at 3 yds.
Second match was 6 arrows at 20, 6 at 30, and 6 at 40 yds.
I did not try your idea ahead of time for the 3 yd shot, but just proceeded on trust in what you said. I smoked him big time. His shot was about 6 inches high, I shoot a single pin and set it for 30 yds and held dead on. I hit like 1/8 inch from center. He was really irritated. :D
I then explained to him that I had gotten that tip from someone who shot the nationals just a few days ago. He just shook his head and I was tickled to say the least. Thanks for the great tip Joe!
The second match was of course a different ballgame. He blew me away at the 20 and 30 yd line, but he had a tough time at the 40. I held my own there and closed the gap somewhat by shooting a better score at the 40. Overall he beat me by 11 points, but he was not talking so much smack by the time we got done. :wink:
So it was a good learning experience for both of us. He learned that the gap was not as wide as he thought, and I learned that with a little more practice I should be able to catch up. I think the main advantage I have is being used to shooting under pressure and to just try to shoot to my average, without blowing up on the line. He is no doubt a better bow shot, but the pressure gets to him a little when shooting in head to head competition.
It was a fun way to spend a few minutes after dinner with my son and of course the heckling was all good natured. He had a hard time bothering me when I was shooting as I am used to all kinds of racket when I shoot. But he did get under my skin a little bit by cracking an empty water bottle time after time. :D
Of course I would not resort to such dirty tactics!
There really was a rattlesnake gliding by when I shot an arrow next to his foot :wink:

Glad the tip worked out for ya. Sounds like you two have a good time shootin.

Latest posts

Back