Are hogs easy to sneak up on

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funman

Reaction score
would like to know if any of you track hogs and actually find them, and are they easier to sneak up on than a deer. I hunt a river in a real swampy area any tips on what time of day they move and do they bed in the mud or higher ground thanks :?:

Welcome to the forum it is good to have you here.

As for sneaking up on a hog.. from all I have read, they are very cautious of their surroundings and things in them. I would not guess them an easy stalk, but like any animal it is possible if your skill level is up to the challenge.

I have never hunted wild hogs. I sure do want to try though. I have sure been around domesticated hogs though. And they are the most alert animals on the farm. They watch everything that goes on around them.

I have hunted wild hogs here in Arkansas for many years. They are very intelligent animals and I believe their sense of smell is better than deer. Their hearing is very good but not as good as deer in my experience. A hogs vision is their weak sense, poor compared to deer and probably not as good as human vision. Don't get me wrong calling their vision a weakness..........hogs that are hunted make up for any weakness they may have with intelligence and total lack of curiousity. As cayuga said hogs are extremely alert and intelligent.

A lone hog can usually be stalked with some success if you have a bit of cover and wind to cover any little noises you may make but most important a steady wind direction to avoid their super keen noses. I rarely come across a lone hog. Most of the time they travel in groups which greatly decreases the chances of pulling off a successful stalk.

As we know, deer can become nocturnal very quickly because of hunting pressure or any unusual human activity or presence. In my experience hogs are much quicker to go nocturnal than deer when they feel disturbed.

Thanks for the replys i went out to the river today and tied off the boat to the bank ( a new spot i thought i would try) thier was evidence of them all over the place, it looked like some one came in with a tiller and tore the place up. Me and my hunting buddy have seen this before but we cannot see a pig, i traveled back some ways into the woods but it gets more wet and swampy. Let me ask you this would they be likely to come back to that spot in your opinion , or do they just root and go. Do they have one area they live in like deer do? We put corn out in one of those rooted spots and nothing but racoons are taking it. thanks in advance

funman said:
Thanks for the replys i went out to the river today and tied off the boat to the bank ( a new spot i thought i would try) thier was evidence of them all over the place, it looked like some one came in with a tiller and tore the place up. Me and my hunting buddy have seen this before but we cannot see a pig, i traveled back some ways into the woods but it gets more wet and swampy. Let me ask you this would they be likely to come back to that spot in your opinion , or do they just root and go. Do they have one area they live in like deer do? We put corn out in one of those rooted spots and nothing but racoons are taking it. thanks in advance

My experience.........never know if hogs will return or not. If you keep some corn or other feed out the likelyhood of their returning increases dramatically.

We have had a problem with them on our deer lease for two years now. They come to the feeders and are easy to lure if you are not hunting them. Once a couple have been shot they become quite nocturnal and much less visible.

There are several products to attract them like "Pig Out" that you mix with corn, or pour in a wallow to attract them. Others just use smelly garbage or a bucket of wet soured corn. All work when they are in the area.

Problem we have found is that apparently they range widely and will be in one area today and perhaps several miles away the next. We shoot them whenever we see them in order to try to keep them in check, but they multiply like rabbits so it is an unending effort.

Oh, by the way. They are hard to clean, but really, really, really good eating!!! Not nearly as much fat as commercial pork and unless you get a very large old boar that stinks to high heaven, they are prime eatin'. Good ground into sausage and grilled loin is fabulous. I cook chunks of the pork in the crock pot with pineapple, sweetener, Worcestershire sauce, onions and peppers and serve it over rice. That Hawaiian pork is hard to beat and refused by nobody. Given the choice for both I will shoot the pig before the deer to fill the freezer.

I have hunted hogs down here in Florida for several years. Mostly with a bow or muzzleloader. If spot and stalk is your game you must play the wind. Their eye sight is marginal but there sense of hearing and smell is what you have to worry most about. The hogs down here are most active around dusk and dawn. If you choose to bait up a spot with corn they will find it and continue hitting your bait . If you throw corn on the ground and a hog finds it they will eat it all in short order. Some people take a post hole digger and make about a two foot hole and throw the corn down the hole. The hogs will have to spend more time getting to it. Some people will soak the corn a few days in water before putting it out to make it more appealing to the hogs. However the easiest way is to buy a feeder and fill it with corn (dry)and set the timer for sunrise and sunset. Once you observe hog tracks under your feeder its time to hunt it. Note which way they are entering your feeder area and hunt downwind of that trail. You always want to approach your stand from the downwind side. It takes a few days to establish a bait area. Be in your stand about 45 minutes before the feeder goes off. If they live in your hunting area they will find it. They do make great table fare. We smoked a fifty pounder last week at the camp.

101_1986c.jpg

Here is a boar taken this year with my Knight MK 85 and a 250 grain shockwave.

I snuck up on a Hog in the Bed,but it was very cold and snowing,it did stick its head up.I froze,it settled down.I could of shot it but didn't.

But I was wanting to shoot a Hog one time and I got 5 yards from two,never seen them until I stopped and they bust out of the brush,but no chance of a shot.

oneshot

Thanks for all the info still trying to get one and having fun trying thanx again nice hog pic

Most of the time it is easy to sneak to within bowrange of hogs...

sometimes they come running to you! :lol:

wilbur.jpg

That is one cute little pig. He/she looks pretty calm too. Usually they try to bite your fingers off.

Most of my hog hunting is done from tree stands near ponds and food plots. Sometimes i do hunt the draws with the wind in my face. This worked out well for me last week when i came up a wash behind a sounder of about 30 hogs that were rooting for pecans. Got one from about 90 yards away.

Back