Are most muzzleloaders overscoped?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question RW. It depends on how you define overscoped though. In the traditional sense refering to magnification I would say yes. It is nice to have a 3x9 and turn it up to 9 for a 175 yd shot but not at all neccessary. A 1.5 -3 x power scope is plenty for shooting deer at ranges of 300 yards and under.
However if we are talking scope quality as our definition, then the answer would be positively no. Most muzzle loaders are underscoped in this regard. Probably not the average shooter on this forum though, as most here know the value of quality optics.
But RW the question and my answer can also be accurately said about most deer hunters, not just us muzzleheads! :D

My opinion is that the "average" muzzleloading hunters gun likely has too much scope. I know all of mine do except my Elite where I have a Leupold M8 4X.. :lol: I know some are into long range shootin with their MLer's and there the higher powered scopes are a benefit...but I think on the norm the very nature of a muzzleloader (and its use) requires much less than many of us top ours with (as I said ME INCLUDED :lol: )

The only time my ML Scopes see anything above say 4-5X is at the range.

It depends on the shooter I guess. I actually use my highest magnification and not just at the range.

I agree with Patrick and Dwight on seperate issues here.

Overscoped in ralation to what? If the shooter prefers and uses his scope on the highest mag, then no. Who could tell him otherwise ?

I prefer a larger mag scope for the terrain I am hunting on, I'll use the higher magnifications.

As far as scope quality? Most are vastly underscoped!! I hunted on public land during last seasons MZ season. I was amazed at the TASCO and BSA's on top of anything.. from CVA's to ENCORE's

RandyWakeman said:
What do you think? :?:
If you mean "too much magnification", then yes. In times past I've was a high magnification fan, but that has changed. In my opinion; 6X will do quite well for 99%+ of muzzleloader deer hunting (maybe for 99%+ of all deer hunting).

Oops, missed the quality talk. I'm still half asleep. :oops:

Most muzzleloaders are underscoped in the quality department. I know one person in particular who won't spend more than $50 on a scope for anything. I keep telling him that it's better to buy one $200 scope that 4 $50 scopes.

Rifleman said:
But RW the question and my answer can also be accurately said about most deer hunters, not just us muzzleheads! :D

I was referring to magnification power.

You bet, I think most of us are way overscoped. Cranking up the power makes any scope darker in concert, shrinks the exit pupil, shrinks the field of view, and makes quick target acquisition more difficult.

For decades, before the "new-fangled" variable power scopes were considered reliable, 4X fixed was the standard scope, 6X for western hunting. When you consider the large number of true marksmen that have hit at 1000 yards with iron sights-- it should make us wonder, at least a little bit. :?

Most people cannot keep both eyes open above 3X, and that puts you at a huge disadvantage for running game. It does not help for moving game.

As for reliably, ethically hitting running game with a pistol (or rifle)-- there is a proven path to that as well, if Rifleman cares to share his efforts in that regard.

Well in a nutshell if the deer is hit standing, any safe shot you fire after he starts moving again is ethical to try and really good training.

I have mostly 3X9 Leupolds on my MZs and most of the time they are set on 4X and most of the time I have the deer killed before I think to change the magnification.

I feel they are, I have to use 1x but I would never go over 1 3/4 x 6, Just my opinion.
Redclub

I have high magnification on my smokeless Savage muzzleloader but I hunt out of a fixed stand and I do not take shots at moving game. I have much less power on my TC.

Use a 3 x 9 x 40. nice to shoot at the range but to be honest I've never had it above 4x while hunting . So yes over scoped .

How many have lost a shot opportunity due to being overscoped? I cannot remember when I have, however it has been close a time or two. Really guys, recall the snipers of WWII, the Germans and Russians racked up some pretty high tallys with 1.5 to 3.5 powered scopes, with alot poorer optical quality then what we have today. I truly believe a 2.5 is all anyone needs for 95 percent of all big game hunting out to 600 yds. Yes it is nice to be able to turn up to 10x and thread the needle thru the woods, but I certainly do leave my scope set at its lowest setting while hunting, and only turn it up when I have the time. Just for giggles try some shooting at the lowest setting next time your at the range, you may be surprised to find you shoot just fine. :wink:

RandyWakeman said:
Most people cannot keep both eyes open above 3X, and that puts you at a huge disadvantage for running game. It does not help for moving game.

With my vision problem I can NOT shoot anything with both eyes open.
I also have an extreamly hard time using a weapon that does not have a scope. Open sites are always a blur if I focus on my target, and if I focus on the sights my target becomes a blur. My ML scopes are always set on the lowest power while hunting, but if it is a long shot, and the animal is standing still I will crank the power up to the max after I have the cross hairs on the animal. I crank the power up because it give me more confidence to see what appears to be a larger target. I know that the target size does not change, but it looks larger, and that helps me a lot.

SO I GUESS that I should say NO i do not feal that most ML's are over
scoped.

Well Jr, you gotta do what you gotta do, now go get a haircut. :shock: :D

My eyes are close to HTR's .Can't shoot open sights.If I'm in woods scope set on 2 1/2, turn it up 6-7 if time allows. And yes my muzzy's are over powered.

I think that most are.

I scoped my first deer rifle with a Bushnell "Scope Chief 3X". (in 1957 - time flies) I remember being amazed at its light gathering ability and being useable with rain drops on the lenses. I still think 3X is a good choice.
Now I don't feel comfortable unless I can crank up the power on a variable but always keep it set at low power. Maybe bad eyesight is a factor? :)

charlie

Back