Early Christmas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RomanC

Reaction score
Hi, Christmas came early in Wisconsin and I am new to muzzleloading. I purchased 50 cal. CVA V2 Optima with Vortex and can't wait to test it. What do you suggest best combo for pellets and bullets? I will be hunting whitetails up to 150 yards mostly. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_7513.jpeg
    IMG_7513.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I'd go with loose powder, not pellets.
Blackhorn, Triple 7 or whatever you can get.
All kinds of bullets out there. My own Optima and Wolf seem to shoot accurately with the Hornady XTP'S in 240 grains.
Why not pellets?

I got my CVA from muzzle-loaders.com. They were very nice answering some of my questions because I am completely new to this. I love the look and feel of the rifle without ever taking a shot. Trying to learn on the run. I believe somewhere on their site or at CVA site it was suggested to go with White Hots pellets and Powerbelt bullets and with 777 primers. Has anyone tried this combo? I read a lot bad about Pyrodex pellets and also the penetration of Powerbelts. Some of you mentioned BH209 for propellant. Is there a reason why BH209?

Last edited:
Why not pellets?
For my budget, pellets are just too expensive, shot for shot compared to loose powder.
Plus you're limited on how much customization you can do, in terms of load development. For example, with pellets, it's either 1, 2 or 3 pellets.
Not much wiggle room.
One of my guns shoots best with 75 grains by volume of black powder.

It makes sense now. I thought maybe it had something to do with the way the loose powder burns vs. the pellets. I will try the loose powder. Does it burn "more dirty" than pellets?

How often do you clean it and how? Also if you are using powder and you do not take the shot how you empty the loose powder? Do you let it sit in the barrel until next hunt and remove the cap only?

I got my optima V2 this past Sunday. I love it! Incredibly accurate! My load is as follows:

2 Magnum 777 pellets(120gr)
Hornady SST 250gr
Win 209 Primer

This was the first load I tried, and it shot lights out immediately, so there's nothing for me to "tweak" or change.
KIMG1243.JPG
First 3rd group at 50 yds after I got everything zeroed.

KIMG1244.JPG
Cold bore @100yds

At the range, I clean 100% after every shot. Windex and CLP. It takes two benches for my operation, but hunting season is over, and the old guys shoot benchrest on Sundays. So it's pretty much wide open.

Same rifle. I shoot Hornady Bore Drivers FTX 290gr. 2 White Hot Pellets and CCI 209 primers. Only shot hogs and coyotes out to 110 yards.

I bought a 50 cal and wanted to shoot a 50 cal slug.

With pellets, I can easily unload rifle by removing breach plug. Pellets drop right out and a rod down the bore removes the bullet with no damage.

I am pleased.

Why not pellets?
I am new to muzzleloading and was handed 777 pellets when I got my rifle in October. They burn very dirty and cause a crud ring that makes it harder to load a follow up shot as compared to loose powder. On my first hunt the jag actually got stuck in the barrel! I was told by many 777 powder doesn't cause as much of a ring as the pellets and for hunting you can load many with BH 209 which is it's main advantage and slightly higher speeds.

This was my experience on my first two muzzy hunts.

First year with a muzzy/ 2 bucks in 2 days!

Last edited:
I got my optima V2 this past Sunday. I love it! Incredibly accurate! My load is as follows:

2 Magnum 777 pellets(120gr)
Hornady SST 250gr
Win 209 Primer

This was the first load I tried, and it shot lights out immediately, so there's nothing for me to "tweak" or change.
View attachment 39656
First 3rd group at 50 yds after I got everything zeroed.

View attachment 39657
Cold bore @100yds

At the range, I clean 100% after every shot. Windex and CLP. It takes two benches for my operation, but hunting season is over, and the old guys shoot benchrest on Sundays. So it's pretty much wide open.
Awesome. Thank you for sharing.

For years, I used pellets in my CVA. This year I switched to loose powder, Triple 7. The difference is incredible. Loose powder burns much cleaner. I was able to sight in my rifle without having to clean between shots (as I had to do with pellets). I always clean my rifle after I come home from hunting or the range.

Latest posts

Back