are the horandy xtp any good

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have a traditions nitrofire i have traditions tpf hunter bullets wich are pratically a horandy xtp are they any good for whitetail deer 200 yards and in i am also gonna get the true xtps. the only big diffrence is the xtp is that its got lead exposed in the hollow point and the tpf hunter dont. thanks and god bless

I used the xtp for many years and switched to the STS style a few years ago for a flater trajectory. This morning having my coffee i put the BC numbers into the pbr calculator (linked in another thread this am). The diff is only like 6 yards for a 4” delta. I think im missing something. Maybe drag factor or maybe the advantage is having more energy at distance. Not sure, i never researched it but was expecting more.
This year i found the Sts in a tree aftre going thru a deer and it was not deformed at all. I will change bullets again this year!

Pros: Accurate, cheap & killers.
Cons: They do some extensive meat damage.
I ‘ll use them to dial in then use the “other” bullets.
One of my hunting buddies uses a 45- 180gr XTP / 50 combo. Seems to always have worked for him.
If using an inline I prefer the FTX or SST.

I sighted in with the 40cal 200gr XTPs. I use them to shoot at the range. I prefer to hunt with something else.
Bingo. But I have killed deer with the 200 grain, .40 cal xtp's and it does a number on them..

This is a 240 grain XTP that went stem to stern on a nice buck. I haven’t weighed it but it’s mostly there. As an easily obtained and a relatively inexpensive cup and core bullet, I don’t think the XTP can beat. They’re accurate as a paper round that can right to the woods.

Attachments

• IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I've been using the xtp 240s for years now and they do a great job on deer! Most are DRT but a few have made it 40yds or so! I I'm shooting the black sabot that came with the xtp 240s. I'm not positive who makes em.

My tried and true recipe has worked well for 20+ years:

MMP black sabots
300 gr or 250gr hornady XTP .452
80 to 100gr by volume of powder depending on what exactly the rifle (700 MLS) shoots best. Never had one shoot best over 100 gr by volume.

When I do my part (heart lung shots) deer don't go far.

Worst ever: Hit one in the liver at 110yds. Decided to take a previously wounded buck on the run through a fallow field. He'd bounce above the tall stuff then go down into it on a half run. Not a good shot but I felt he needed culling. After I shot while he was running, he went 30yds and laid down in the thick bank of a ditch full of water. When I jumped him at close range he was DRT with the second shot. Only Two shot deer I've had with XTP... And it was my fault (bad shot placement). He had been wounded by an arrow and was full of Gangrene. One of two that I've killed but did not eat in my life time. Both were sick/wounded and mercy culls.

Every other deer I shot with XTPs didn't go far or was DRT.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back