Are you really safe in the woods?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the most part, I feel pretty safe in the woods. I prefer the company of animals and birds more that most people I know.
Once, many years ago, I came across a Pine Martin, who wasn't in a good mood, Lol.
I usually carry a large knife or small hatchet. I drew my knife and had a brief standoff with the Martin, eventually it left and I hightailed it out of there.
I've had a few encounters with black bears but they've all ended peacefully.

I have had half dz run in's with dogs, turned wild / dumped or neighborhood pets get into a pack. I seldom pack anything unless i am hunting. I have had real close trouble with some of them growling showing their teeth n so on. I had to save a neighbor in Tn. from a dog attack, 8-10 of them jumped him on his back porch. I heard him yelling they were biting him ripping his clothing. I killed 3 of them with my shotgun, turned out it was a bunch of pets that formed a hunting pack. Animal control came n took over getting them. We moved from there few months after that happen. Went farther back into the country

I ALWAYS carry. Either my Springfield XD-S 45 ACP or Ruger LCP II .380. Even sitting in the living room typing this, I have my Springfield on me.
I have had a couple times with neighbors, their dog in my yard, barking at me. I told them that if he bites me, wife, or boys or trys to, I will do what I gotta do.

Last edited:
I have had dogs all my life n they have always been good & nice. I treat them well, the three we have now are smaller n we keep them inside cept when they have their needs n its good outside for them to play. Maybe people don't treat theirs well, i have saw some real shabby treatment of animals in my time. I have always felt those type of people will treat other people the same way they do their animals. I have no use for those who are mean n cruel to other people or animals

If I'm not hunting with a rifle, shotgun, or bow, I always carry a Ruger 4.2 inch barrel SP101 .357 Mag when I'm out in the mountains behind our house. Last spring, when we moved into this place, we had a terrible black bear problem for about 2 months. Just about every other day we had a bear in the garage, on the deck, peering into the window in the evening, etc. We identified 3 individual bears. Turns out the previous owner had been feeding them. With the warden's blessing, I finally shot one that got aggressive with me when I was outside. Haven't seen one since.... don't know how the remaining two bears got the word, but somehow they did. The first time I took the dogs for a walk they jumped a mountain lion about 300 yards behind the house, but I've only seen one set of lion tracks since then. A couple of weeks ago a friend of my neighbor's treed a cat about a mile behind the house, but didn't shoot it because the tree was on private land. I've heard credible reports of wolves, but haven't seen any evidence (tracks, droppings, howling) at all.

I haven't heard any first-hand reports of grizzlies in the mountains behind our house, but it's a distinct possibility. One or more grizzlies is sighted inside the town of Lincoln, which is about 20 air miles north of here, on a weekly basis. The continental divide connects the mountains south of Lincoln with the mountains behind our place - our mountains are basically a long ridge running up to the divide - so it's a natural bear highway. Grizz are seen on a fairly regular basis in the next major drainage to the northwest of us - about 5 miles away - but I'm not sure whether those bears are resident bears or just moving through. There are definitely resident grizzlies in one of my bowhunting spots, which is about 8 miles further northwest along the divide. Saw huge piles of old droppings last fall, but no fresh tracks or dropping piles. I carry bear spray when bow hunting or fishing in grizz country - and carry a Henry 45-70 lever carbine + bear spray when I'm "trolling for grizzlies" (packing meat in grizz country). If I'm hunting grouse in grizz country rounds 3-5 in my shotgun are slugs.

I don't feel unsafe in the woods - I've hunted and fished in really good black bear and lion country for most of my life. Although I've seen many of both, and sometimes far too close for comfort, I've never had a problem, even when meat was present, but they are always to be respected. I'm very careful with food and meat in all bear country. Grizzlies are especially to be respected. We have a huge grizzly problem in Montana now - just way too many of the dang things, they are quickly expanding their range in all directions, and they've largely lost their fear of man because they haven't been hunted for many generations.

Man I feel for the guy
personally I always carry something that will take care of issues like that
it's not only wild dogs but you never know about people that are just walking into our country either
The two-legged varmints are much more dangerous than the four-legged varieties... but most of the two-legged ones generally steer clear of anything that involves walking or being out in cold weather.

I was scouting for mast on National Forrest before squirrel season many moons ago. A skunk came out of nowhere and chased us back to my truck. I promised myself never again, and carry a sidearm now everytime I go out.
So far nothing has happened, but a neighbor of the landowner where I hunt, dog got loose and gave me a start when I walked up on him after dark walking out last fall. He just growled and walked off, must have scared him as much!!
I was ready though...

Alot of people have this misguided notion that because they live in the country their dogs should be able to roam free, and while I support their right to do as they please, it doesn’t mean I should have to deal with them.
Where I hunt here in east TX is about 600 acres surrounded on three sides by rural subdivisions, and I have run ins with dogs all the time. Let’s just say it doesn’t end well for the aggressive ones.

30 years ago we just got back from a do it yourself hunt in Alaska. I seen a coon go in the barn about noon, went and grabbed my shotgun. I walked into the barn and that thing let out the most evil growl i ever heard, he died right there from a dose of 6’s in the guts..called board of health they checked him out, Positive for rabies..scared me more than spending a month in the outback in Alaska.. lol

30 years ago we just got back from a do it yourself hunt in Alaska. I seen a coon go in the barn about noon, went and grabbed my shotgun. I walked into the barn and that thing let out the most evil growl i ever heard, he died right there from a dose of 6’s in the guts..called board of health they checked him out, Positive for rabies..scared me more than spending a month in the outback in Alaska.. lol
Rabies are no joke! That was a close call.

Alot of people have this misguided notion that because they live in the country their dogs should be able to roam free, and while I support their right to do as they please, it doesn’t mean I should have to deal with them.
Where I hunt here in east TX is about 600 acres surrounded on three sides by rural subdivisions, and I have run ins with dogs all the time. Let’s just say it doesn’t end well for the aggressive ones.
Particularly irritating when people let their dogs run on other people's private property. The other thing we deal with is city people who drive out to the country and ditch unwanted cats and dogs. Really heartbreaking to see these pets, some of whom have never been alone in the outdoors.

Few things anger me more than irresponsible animal owners (pets or livestock).

In this county the rural population thinks letting their big/aggressive breed dogs run free is a God given right. For 30 years I've rescued and rehabilitated large dogs that were going to be put down for "behavioral problems".

I'm the only person who has ever been bitten. My dogs are ALWAYS on a heavy chain, inside a high fence or both. On the few occasions that a dog has gotten out of the kennels, those that didn't respond to my call immediately were killed where they stood.

I always carry some kind of weapon or lethal tool; not only in the woods but every time I step out of my house. I've had to use these items more often for aggressive dog Owners than for the dogs.

Had a pack of five feral dogs tree one of my hunting buddies. He failed to return from the evening bow hunt. When we went to look for him we ran into the pack. The dogs didn't like the odds and bugged out. Two night later heading to the bar the pack crossed the road in front of my car. One of the dogs turned and came at the car. Bad move for him. I ran it over and backed up over it again. Funny thing was, when we came back we couldn't see a carcass. Came back next morning, nothing. Tough SOB.
I've killed half a dozen dogs running deer.

Back