Are you really safe in the woods?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Wait till you find the fire ants in Texas they're horrible"

Already found them and decided they need to go. Can't stand more than a few minutes in my yard when mowing the grass or they try to eat you. I can stand the pain but the bites seem to last forever and you don't look good in shorts any longer. (assuming you did in the first place that is)

Ha! Then you'd really love the little black buffalo gnats we get up here in the early summer. Or the deer flies that take a chunk of you.

Yeah I forgot about those buggers too.

If you go look closely at your yard grass. The high points on the yard grass in the morning may have what looks like ground pepper on them. But if you take a magnifying glass and look closely at that pepper bits is little tiny mites standing up with the claws out ready to hitch a ride from any passing animal that brushed up against them. Some of those are chiggars but most are harmless to animals. What has me curious is how those things know which grass stalks are the tallest to climb up on. So beware of tall grass on nice mornings outside.

I keep a.40 caliber Glock on my hip and and a Colt M4 on my quad. State law says if it's on my property it's mine. My wife and children's safety are paramount. And as Larry Potterfield says, "That's the way it is".

Already found them and decided they need to go. Can't stand more than a few minutes in my yard when mowing the grass or they try to eat you. I can stand the pain but the bites seem to last forever and you don't look good in shorts any longer. (assuming you did in the first place that is)

Just a hint icy hot etc anything with menthol will take the chigger itch away

At least Illinois has made it so I can carry my CCL pistol while hunting should I encounter something nefarious.

For what it's worth, Ive pulled engourged deer ticks off me about 10 separate timess over about 6-10 years and have been diagnosed with Lyme disease several times. The worst case affected me with two months of tiredness only (as far as I can tell anyway. With that event, I made the mistake of trying

Doxycycline. For me, the cure was worse than the disease. It made me much sicker then the Lyme disease.​

I Quit the Doxycycline after a week. After 2 months I didn't feel any illness. I'm about 5 years older now and I'm not aware of any effects of Lyme disease.
However I've met several people who say they had bad effects after getting bitten by deer ticks.
You're very fortunate not to have longer lasting symptoms. For some, Lyme is highly debilitating for very long/permanent time frames

I always found it was the Southern New England hippies and there offspring that came up to Maine, where no one lives and let their big dogs run. Now I live in the South and they let their big dogs run....Seems to be universal. I have no sympathy whatsoever for the fate of dogs that are allowed to run free and menace or be a nuisance to others. They are just dogs, not angels. On the Doxy front, I have been taking Doxycycline for 10 years, every day. 100 mg. What exactly did it make you feel like?

I keep a.40 caliber Glock on my hip and and a Colt M4 on my quad. State law says if it's on my property it's mine. My wife and children's safety are paramount. And as Larry Potterfield says, "That's the way it is".
Yes sir. I agree. My family's safety is #1. One of the main reasons why I ALWAYS carry.

The fire ants aren’t too bad. As long as you don’t step or stand on their hive mounds. Away from their hive they behave like regular ants do.

almost 50 years ago when we lived in salina oklahoma times were tough and mom bought a used folding sofa bed from a store and we started finding scorpions in the house and found out there was a nest in it . i remember i see a huge black centipede with red legs and i was told they could sting really really bad , never got stung but they dang sure look intimidating .

Being an old Yankee from New England, I've gotten a good education since moving to Oklahoma.
Fire ants, chiggers and the occasional scorpion are not my favorite critters.
Talking about Oklahoma reminds me of Army days....I spent about a year and a half of my life in various artillery schools at Ft. Sill Oklahoma. Ft. Sill had a great skeet club, and there were lots of other opportunities for shooting, so I had a pretty good time there. Didn't much care for the heat and humidity in the summer, but always enjoyed the thunderstorms. During my first tour there some buddies and I had a good time hunting crows on the Fr. Cobb crow roost.

Sometimes wild critters were pretty fierce, but most of the time the biggest danger to all soldiers was fellow soldiers doing stupid stuff. One time in artillery school at Ft. Sill our training battery was out on a live fire field exercise with M109A1 155 mm howitzers, and after firing about 400 rounds during the day from a firing point that was covered with deep dry grass, we were "attacked" by infantry at about midnight - when the wind was blowing at about 20 mph. Somebody who wasn't thinking fired a flare rocket, and in about 30 seconds we had a 400 ft. wide grass fire coming right at us - with about 1,000 pounds of powder in the powder pits behind us, and maybe 200 rounds of high explosive ammo still on the gun line. You've never seen a more highly motivated fire fighting effort.... we got it put out in time, even though all we had was hand tools.

Then there was the time in Korea that one of the multiple launch rocket platoon sergeants decided to try and cross a steep ravine on the side of a mountain that had recently been filled with loose dirt, and still had water running down the ravine under the dirt. Needless to say, the dirt wouldn't support 30 ton tracked rocket launchers, which started sliding sideways down the ravine - with about 1000 vertical feet to the bottom. It took every recovery vehicle in the battalion and the entire battalion maintenance section working in waist-deep mud close to a week to get the last vehicle out of there - during November with daily highs in the 30s and steady rain all day and all night.

Ranger School in Georgia and Florida involved lots of safety issues from both wild critters and other soldiers. We were outdoors most of the time - including sleeping on the ground - so most of us were covered with chigger bites, ticks, etc., and run-ins with eastern diamondbacks, pygmie rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouths, coral snakes, and aggressive bees to which almost everybody is allergic (bee bites kill more soldiers in Ranger School than anything else) were everyday events. Just about everything in the coastal swamp of FL bites, stings, scratches, jabs with thorns, or cuts. Crossing the tidal creeks on Eglin Air Force Base in FL was always an adventure. The ones I remember had a quarter mile of mangrove swamp on each side, and the creeks themselves are about 30 yards wide, up to 30 feet deep with a nearly vertical drop to the bottom at each side, and are full of gators, cottonmouths, and sharks. All movement was done at night without lights, so you never knew what was right next to you in the water as you waded through the swamps to the creeks. Once at the creek, one guy would swim a rope across and tie it to something solid on the other side. Then the platoon would tie it off to something solid on the near side and use snap links to attach packs, machine guns, radios, etc. to the rope, and swim them across. Then the last guy on the near side would untie the rope, and swim across. When you're the first or the last guy across, swimming in total darkness, you feel exactly like a minnow on a hook....

Good times.... and my wife wonders why I don't worry about climbing the mountain before daylight and coming back down after dark when I'm hunting elk. :)

Latest posts

Back