Arkansas Stone

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Anyone use a stone to polish up lock/trigger parts?

I bought a tiny stone for keeping an edge on my chisels and I really like that arkansas stone! I used it on two sears yesterday and while it did not highly polish them, it apparently knocked down some high spots and they are now super slick and engage the tumbler nicely.

i use them to hone front sights down. also for some rough main springs in revolvers i sit and hone for a couple of days watching TV  until the springs are smooth on all 4 sides and in that way they wont break because of nicks on the edges.also keeps the kitchen knives sharp.also i have a stone in my tackle box as i like to make the hooks as sharp as possible and a lot less losses of fish off of the hook. when they bite on my hooks they are hooked.

I have used one to sharpen a knife. It was a loaner stone. Seemed nice, but nothing other stones could not do so I never got around to getting one of my own. Never used one for polishing. I hear Buck chews on them to sharpen his teeth. ;)

Have any of you guys ever heard of the moonshine legend "Popcorn Sutton"?  He used to run a roadside junk store in Maggie Valley NC and many years ago on a vacation trip I stopped in where I would up buying a small Arkansas Stone.  I still have it, but as it's already been said, it's really not anything special.  FWIW I didn't have a clue that the store was a front for selling his Moonshine and at the time I didn't know his name.

popcorn was in a tv show about him. then the law really got hot on his trail and he was about to end up in prison. with a long term in prison looking at him he killed him self. so that is the story at that time. never checked it out to see if it was true.

Popcorn did himself in because he knew that he wouldn't be able to smoke in the "Club Fed".  I've had a jar of his legal moonshine, it ain't fittin' for man or beast!

FrontierGander said:
Anyone use a stone to polish up lock/trigger parts?

I bought a  tiny stone for keeping an edge on my chisels and I really like that arkansas stone! I used it on two sears yesterday and while it did not highly polish them, it apparently knocked down some high spots and they are now super slick and engage the tumbler nicely.
Yes. They work well tuning locks and other fine tune up jobs. They do the job but are forgiving, much moreso than a file or even a diamond lap.  And, they are excellent for knife sharpening, world famous, in fact.

I use them all the time, have anything from a small 2 in up to a large 18 in Arkansas stones that are hand-me-down for 100 years. Several show years of use with the hollow paths in their surfaces - still good.

Latest posts

Back