Arrow/Broadhead weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
I am shooting Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350's w/ 100gr Tekan mechanicals. The whole assembly weighs in about 405 grains. Would that be considered heavy or light? I am shooting that right at 283 fps which equals about 72 KE...

Am I on the right track?

JJ, can you hit what you are shooting at? Are you confident you can place your arrow where it needs to go? I keep both, mechanicals and fixed broadheads, in my game day quiver and am very comfortable that I can hit what I?m shooting at with either. I am shooting around 240+/- and that will do what I need out to 40 yards and if I work at it, even more? If you want to delve into this deeper here is a good site to play with?. http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm this will give you many hours of enjoyment?.

Your friend and hunting buddy,

IndianaHunter

Yeah Pat, not much changed. Draw weight is still very manageable and accuracy is the same as well. I was just wondering if a 405gr arrow was about what everyone else was shooting?

My Carbon Express CX-300 weighs in at 270gr sans broadhead..arrow length 27 inches not including noc. What length arrows are yours? I'd like to see a picture of your setup?

Don't forget draw weight( stay at at least 5grains per pound )For a really quieter shot stay closer to 6#.I would guess from the speed and KE numbers that you pull between 65&70 .If you pull 70 your safe where your at,if you pull 65 your even better.If it shoots good for you I would leave it right where it is.

Here is a quick pic:

tribute3-1.jpg

Is that a Kwikee Quiver on there? Do you shoot with the quiver attached or off.

Arrows sans nock and broadhead are 28 1/4" long. The weight of an arrow with nock and inserts sans tip is right at 305 grains.

Doohan said:
I shoot with it on. Why?

On my bow the Kwikee quiver was super noisy during arrow release. I never liked them and went with a two piece Matthews. I'm not crazy about it either.
I want to change but haven't found one that I really like.
When you practice do you leave your quiver full and shoot from a group of other arrows. Or do you pull arrows from your quiver, shoot at the target until the quiver is empty? Bows have harmonics too you know.

My quiver is only for transporting arrows to and from my stand... Once on stand its hanging on a limb or hook with an arrow nocked...

IndianaHunter said:
My quiver is only for transporting arrows to and from my stand... Once on stand its hanging on a limb or hook with an arrow nocked...

I'm starting to think that is the best way to go. Although I tend to have a propensity for dropping stuff out of my stand at the least oppurtune times. :oops:

IndianaHunter said:

That's what I did for years. If I hunted with a bow today...that's what I'd do. I've tried a lot of different quivers...hated them all.

I'd say your arrow weight is right about where it should be. Mine shoots in the 290s with a 100gr broadhead. Your arrows are a little longer/heavier so you are shooting in the 280s...That's fast. I've seen a lot of nice bows shoot a LOT slower.

Nice looking rig JJ! You sure are making me want a new bow! They ARE fun to shoot no matter what!

IndianaHunter said:

What he said JJ.
ALWAYS remove from bow once in the stand. Keep this in mind. If you shoot feathers which are way cool and MAJOR forgiving, (see loggy's post about vanes vs. feathers) then it behooves ya'll to remove the qwiver and hang in tree. You stand a real good chance of the feathers brushing against your stand or your coat or a limb and spooking that buck and blowing the shot of a lifetime. Been there done that.

Gotcha! Thanks for the tips guys!! I am soaking this all in, just call me SPONGE BOB :wink:

images.jpg

Keep this good info flowing!

JJ, I shot my bow for about an hour tonight....at least until Grouse called... :lol: Anyway, Here's the scoop on my setup.

PSE Carbon Force Extreme 300's
28" insert to nock @ 275 grains w/o broadhead. This is IBO 5 grains per pound of draw weight... 55 lbs as it sets...

with 85 grain Sonic heads the total is 360 grains... I'll crono it soon and let you know the fps....

Ok, point well taken. Seems like everyone has issues with attached quivers.

I think my next one will be a pack mounted, hip or over the shoulder rig. Anyone using one of those?

Doohan said:
Ok, point well taken. Seems like everyone has issues with attached quivers.

I think my next one will be a pack mounted, hip or over the shoulder rig. Anyone using one of those?

Yep,

ranchosafari.jpg

Back