B2B load force question for the group

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thicker jacket or thinner jacket?

• Thicker .021" jacket

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Thinner .015" jacket

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
B2B (Bullet to Bore) 45cal. ONLY.

This testing has already been completed using SML. Results from two different shooters indicate that the pressure/s created by SML obturate the bullet to its maximum and that loading force has zero affect on accuracy at long range, nor does it affect velocity.

I'll be testing different bullet loading forces in a CLEAN BARREL using 120grs VOLUME of BH209, lot #31. This lot number, for me, weighs out to 85grs. All charges used will be weighed at 85grs.
The testing is to determine if different loading forces using BH209 has any contributing factor/s to accuracy and/or velocity.

I currently have 300gr XLD's sized at 8#, 13# and 18#. I have 300gr Pittman Acumax bullets but, they have .015" jackets, not .021"

Question is........... would you prefer knowing the results of thicker jacketed bullets or the thinner .015" jackets????

for that load, I am intersted in the thicker jacket results. But Im also interested in how the thin jacket survives those loads.
The thinner jacket was actually designed for the lighter charges of 120/84grs of BH. Doug S. had them made up with .015" jackets.

SIDE NOTE............ Had to re-zero the rifle for the 120gr volume charge. Just finished a bit ago. EVERY TIME I SHOOT THIS RIFLE, I REALIZE JUST HOW BLESSED I AM TO HAVE HAD JEFF (Bestill) BUILD THIS RIFLE. THE CAPABLE ACCURACY OF THIS RIFLE IS ONLY DEPENDENT ON THE SHOOTER.
Two foulers then two in a single........

B2B (Bullet to Bore) 45cal. ONLY.

This testing has already been completed using SML. Results from two different shooters indicate that the pressure/s created by SML obturate the bullet to its maximum and that loading force has zero affect on accuracy at long range, nor does it affect velocity.

I'll be testing different bullet loading forces in a CLEAN BARREL using 120grs VOLUME of BH209, lot #31. This lot number, for me, weighs out to 85grs. All charges used will be weighed at 85grs.
The testing is to determine if different loading forces using BH209 has any contributing factor/s to accuracy and/or velocity.

I currently have 300gr XLD's sized at 8#, 13# and 18#. I have 300gr Pittman Acumax bullets but, they have .015" jackets, not .021"

Question is........... would you prefer knowing the results of thicker jacketed bullets or the thinner .015" jackets????
Thinner

LOL, i think of 120/84 BH as a stout charge. Depends on the gun and shooter.
:) I forget there's shooters with real light weight rifles that might make them a little recoil sensitive with maximum production charges.

I guess when you're used to shooting 180grs of T7 and 300gr bullets, then switching to BH and sending them with 112grs of BH by weight, the 120/84 charge is like a pop gun. I send them with 100grs by weight now as my standard "go to" hunting/target load.

I'm doing this at 120/84 because it may, or may not, help more shooters. The interesting part of all of this is, it is now known that adjusting your sizing die for multiple passes to obtain your target force, at least 5 passes, will give you extremely consistent loading forces for all that group of bullets. NOTE..... in a clean unfouled bore.

Quite honestly, I wish I had an accurate production rifle to do this testing, or there was someone with a production rifle near here that would be willing to participate and shoot the test. They'd just have to be proficient at 200yds.

Latest posts

Back