CONTROLLED TESTING FINISHED

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
A controlled test of bullet loading forces, bullet to bore only, was completed today. July 9, 2021.

Most muzzleloader hunters and shooters understand that consistency in everything we do is the key to better, or significantly improved accuracy and also safety.

The intent of this testing was to verify under controlled conditions, if changes in bullet loading forces would affect group sizes or create substantial changes in velocities.

All testing was completed using 120grs volume of BH209 from a 5 pound bottle of Lot #31. Ten volume charges were thrown and each weighed, then averaged. The average came out to 85grs by weight. All charges used in testing were weighed to exactly 85grs by weight.

The bullets in this test consisted of both thinner jacketed bullets and heavier jacketed bullets. The thinner jackets were Pittman 300gr Acumax with .015” jackets. The heavier jackets were Arrowhead 300gr XLD with .021” jackets. ALL bullets were shot using a wool wad.

Loading force……. Loading forces were verified using a Wagner precision force gauge. Loading forces were verified by the slow movement of a sized bullet down the rifle’s barrel using the force gauge attached to the ramrod. Force was verified loading the bullet in a CLEAN BORE.

Bullet sizing……….. What has been identified and verified by two different shooters with precision force gauges is that if bullets are sized 5 times that they will all load at identical force in a clean barrel. The sizing die was set so that the target force was met after 5 passes through the die. It is known that sizing bullets with just a single, or even up to three passes, that the force to load the bullets will vary +/- 3# or more. Example: If your target loading force, actual or perceived is 15#, without multiple passes through the die, the force could be 12# with one bullet and 18# on the next. Remember, it’s all about consistency, right?

Finished size loading forces…………. Five Acumax bullets were sized to load at 8#, five more at 13# and another five bullets at 18#. The XLD bullets were sized to mirror those loading forces of 8, 13 and 18# with five bullets each. Total rounds fired, including 5 fouling shots was 35 rounds.

Group sizes and Velocity………. A Caldwell Precision Pro chronograph was used to identify velocity. Group size is identified by individual targets.

Range……….. All targets were posted at 300yds.

Rifle……….. DUNAMIS. 45cal, 1:19 twist 8r, Rock Creek barrel. No muzzle brake. ASG module ignition with Federal 215M Match primers. Shooting completed using a bipod and rear rest and off a bench.

Swabbing…………. A dry patch was run down and out between rounds.

Fouled barrel loading……….. With both the different bullets, the 8# and 13# loaded at +/- 20#. The 18# bullets loaded in the fouled barrel 30 to 35#.

Bullet seating………… The force gauge was used and EVERY bullet was seated on the wad/propellant at 40#.

Weather Conditions…………… Wind was averaged at 2.1mph out of the NNW with gusts to 6mph.

What this testing is NOT………. I am in no way comparing one manufacturer’s bullet to another. Absolutely ZERO adjustments were made to the scope after the initial verification on paper with the fouling shots. Does not matter where the bullets are on the target, only group size and velocities matter. NOTE: The XLD does have a slightly higher BC than the Pittman.

First photo is of the complete set of targets taped to a large piece of cardboard backer. The top row is the Pittman Acumax .015” jackets. The bottom row is the XLD .021” jackets.

IMG_2280.JPG

Individual targets and data..........
Pittman at 8#

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_0451.PNG

Pittman at 13#........

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_0450.PNG

Pittman at 18#.......

IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_0449.PNG

Next the XLD bullet at 8#

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_0448.PNG

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Attachments

• IMG_2285.JPG
    IMG_2285.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 5
XLD at 13#

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_0447.PNG

XLD at 18#.......

IMG_2286.JPG

IMG_0446.PNG

AVERAGES 2.JPG

Lot of work today. Had "that guy" show up at the range and I thought it would take forever to get rid of the guy.
This is about as far as I'm going this evening while I still have internet. Seems it likes to go on and off for some reason..........

Last edited:
Nice shooting and a good test. It surprises me that there doesn’t seem to be a true conclusion. If I’m looking at it right, the tightest group had the highest SD? Either way, I’d you were to lay all targets over each other, it would still be all one tight group.

Nice shooting and a good test. It surprises me that there doesn’t seem to be a true conclusion. If I’m looking at it right, the tightest group had the highest SD? Either way, I’d you were to lay all targets over each other, it would still be all one tight group.

And at 300 yards no less.

I threw the averages together this morning.

What the average sheet show is that even with the identical bullet and identical charge, there can be a significant difference in velocity.

Take the Pittman bullet. The highest velocity recorded was 2192 and the lowest was 2015. 2192 - 2015 = 177fps difference. IMO that's considerable.

The XLD bullet..... The highest velocity was 2266 and the low was 2136. 2266 - 2136 = 130fps difference.

If the testing shows anything, it shows that higher loading forces increase velocity ?

I think this is a fantastic report. The controlled testing is so good. This is truly the scientific method. Thank you for doing it and posting it.
I wish I could have been there to assist. We only live 10 hours apart.

As in any test, questions arise.
1). When you sized your bullets for the 8# to 18# variable, how much did that change the diameter of the bullets?
2). You indicate that you also tested the force required to load in a fouled barrel and that the force necessary increased up to 35lb. Did you, or will you, also test by firing with a fouled bore?

Again, thank you!

I think this is a fantastic report. The controlled testing is so good. This is truly the scientific method. Thank you for doing it and posting it.
I wish I could have been there to assist. We only live 10 hours apart.

As in any test, questions arise.
1). When you sized your bullets for the 8# to 18# variable, how much did that change the diameter of the bullets?
2). You indicate that you also tested the force required to load in a fouled barrel and that the force necessary increased up to 35lb. Did you, or will you, also test by firing with a fouled bore?

Again, thank you!
Thanks. It took the better part of 5 hours at the club for the test.

I did not mic the bullets because I was testing for force. Actually I don't have a set of mics that would be that precise. It barely and I mean barely takes any movement on the die to change the loading force.

The forces indicated for shooting were in a clean bore only. After sending the 5 fouling shots, every loaded bullet was checked for loading force in the fouled barrel. The forces really increased with the 18# clean bore forces in a fouled barrel, 35#+/-.

Agreed, velocity increases with more force, but even at 300 yards there’s no noticeable difference.

To me the only question to remain is if no force gauge was used and instead left to habit and repetition, would the groups open up?

Back