BACO 625 Grain Creedmoor Muzzleloader Bullet Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I couldn’t resist shooting this BIG Bullet this morning

95 Grains by WEIGHT of Swiss 2F Powder, Bullet weighs 625 Grains Cast of Certified PURE Lead. Average MV of 1,281 FPS, I had to Put 1 of these on my Gong, JUST ABOUT Wrapped it All the way Around, A center Hit would do it. My Rifle shoots a few inches to the Right

GONG Video

2 shots on 50-60 Yard Target for a Quick Test, PASS :lewis:
Lpp4zp8l.jpg

2Mn9LZul.jpg

XLmjK3Rl.jpg

3 Shots over my Chronograph with the 625 Grain Cast of PURE Lead Read as Follows:

Shot #1 1,288 FPS
Shot #2 1,280 FPS
Shot #3 1,277 FPS

My average being 1,281, Extreme Spread of 11
IFA3Krnl.jpg

I chose to shoot one of these over the Chronograph (BACO Jim Casted me an Extra one) The other Bullet is a “Proof” Bullet that will Stay in the Mold Box. These are Cast of 1:20 Alloy, and Weigh 610 Grains.
FHNFV84l.jpg

CPVdqnrl.jpg

How was the recoil?:)

It DEMANDS Your undivided Attention :) This is Right on the Threshold of what i Can Withstand, I DON’T Want ANYMORE Recoil than This. There is a GOOD Reason the .50s Aren’t popular like the .45s in the Long Range Stuff. It is a Mind/Mental Game trying to Maintain Perfect Form/Composure, While Squeezing the Trigger on a Rifle that you KNOW is gonna KNOCK the DAYLIGHTS out of ya. This is VERY Noticeably More Recoil than my .45s with 530-540 Grain Long Range Bullets, I shoot 80-85 Grains of powder in them, and they are Slightly Heavier Rifles to Boot.

In short, This 95 Grain Swiss 2F Charge, Pushing a 625 Grain Bullet is an ATTENTION Grabber :)

It DEMANDS Your undivided Attention :) This is Right on the Threshold of what i Can Withstand, I DON’T Want ANYMORE Recoil than This. There is a GOOD Reason the .50s Aren’t popular like the .45s in the Long Range Stuff. It is a Mind/Mental Game trying to Maintain Perfect Form/Composure, While Squeezing the Trigger on a Rifle that you KNOW is gonna KNOCK the DAYLIGHTS out of ya. This is VERY Noticeably More Recoil than my .45s with 530-540 Grain Long Range Bullets, I shoot 80-85 Grains of powder in them, and they are Slightly Heavier Rifles to Boot.

In short, This 95 Grain Swiss 2F Charge, Pushing a 625 Grain Bullet is an ATTENTION Grabber :)
Lewis you would be surprised what the BC is on that, I have a .50 with 24 twist shot baco bullets PP 650 with 110 grains of 1.5 swiss , 1135 at muzzle , and still holding 900 something at 500, but you are right recoil had to hang on

Lewis you would be surprised what the BC is on that, I have a .50 with 24 twist shot baco bullets PP 650 with 110 grains of 1.5 swiss , 1135 at muzzle , and still holding 900 something at 500, but you are right recoil had to hang on

I am looking forward to Stretching this Bullet WAY out there, 1,300 FPS with this BIG 610 Grain Alloyed Bullet is nothing to Sneeze at. I am curious if i will Gain much Velocity going to the 32” Bbl? The LRH i just shot these in is like 28” But probably 26 inches of Usable Length

I couldn’t resist shooting this BIG Bullet this morning

95 Grains by WEIGHT of Swiss 2F Powder, Bullet weighs 625 Grains Cast of Certified PURE Lead. Average MV of 1,281 FPS, I had to Put 1 of these on my Gong, JUST ABOUT Wrapped it All the way Around, A center Hit would do it. My Rifle shoots a few inches to the Right

GONG Video

2 shots on 50-60 Yard Target for a Quick Test, PASS :lewis:
Lpp4zp8l.jpg

2Mn9LZul.jpg

XLmjK3Rl.jpg

3 Shots over my Chronograph with the 625 Grain Cast of PURE Lead Read as Follows:

Shot #1 1,288 FPS
Shot #2 1,280 FPS
Shot #3 1,277 FPS

My average being 1,281, Extreme Spread of 11
IFA3Krnl.jpg

I chose to shoot one of these over the Chronograph (BACO Jim Casted me an Extra one) The other Bullet is a “Proof” Bullet that will Stay in the Mold Box. These are Cast of 1:20 Alloy, and Weigh 610 Grains.
FHNFV84l.jpg

CPVdqnrl.jpg

Are the white things under the pic of 9 some sort of wad?

What purpose does it hold for you?

They Protect the Base of the Bullet (Which is what actually Steers the Bullet) They Help Seal Gasses Behind the Bullet.

Without a Wad, you have ZERO Protection to the Base of the Bullet from the Burning Powder Charge. And 2nd, Without a Wad, X amount of Gasses Escape Around the Bullet Through the Bores Grooves before the Bullet “Bumps Up” to Fill the Grooves, This is Where you Get Barrel Leading.

So one uses wads only when using non-saboted slugs? This is new and interesting. Does this the do same thing as a paper or cloth patch? thx

Last edited:
Back