Bad day at the range - Accura MR broken and MK-85 won't fire

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannhauser

Reaction score
Well, today was my day off and I took my Accura and New to me MK-85 to the range. Maybe I should have just gone in to work :?

My Accura was shooting great until one shot flew wide and something felt "off". Checking out the ML I quickly see the cause - the front thimble tore off the barrel and mybramridvwas hanging bent :shock:

Decided to try my new-to-me MK-85. Popped a few caps and it seemed fine. Put two shots diwn range with 80 gr 777. Third try cap went off and nothing. Held it for a minute expecting a hang fire. Nothing. Tried a new cap. Nothing. Tried cap #3 and nothing.

Now I'm going to pull the bolt and breechplug then push the charge out. :(

Definitely was a charge in the MK-85. Don't know why it didn't fire. Flash hole in nipple was clear.

GM54-120 said:
Secondary safety accidentally get screwed in?

I made sure primary snd secondary were in fire position. Every time the hammer fell and the cap fired but not the charge.

I tore everything down, cleaned all parts, and reassembled.

Loaded again and the same thing . Cap # 1 fired but no bang. Waited then tried a second cap which fired. I don't understand what the problem could be.

Tannhauser said:
Well, today was my day off and I took my Accura and New to me MK-85 to the range. Maybe I should have just gone in to work :?

My Accura was shooting great until one shot flew wide and something felt "off". Checking out the ML I quickly see the cause - the front thimble tore off the barrel and mybramridvwas hanging bent :shock:

Decided to try my new-to-me MK-85. Popped a few caps and it seemed fine. Put two shots diwn range with 80 gr 777. Third try cap went off and nothing. Held it for a minute expecting a hang fire. Nothing. Tried a new cap. Nothing. Tried cap #3 and nothing.

Now I'm going to pull the bolt and breechplug then push the charge out. :(

Do you have a nipple pick? You might have been able to clear the nipple with the pick...

If your cap is going off then you shouldn't be getting a misfire if you have good dry powder and a good cap and a good clean flashhole. One thought came to me while I was keyboarding. What are you swabbing with? I always use 90% alcohol, that alcohol dries so fast that I don't have to worry about getting things too wet down there. Just a thought. Good Luck
Art

Tannhauser said:
GM54-120 said:

I made sure primary snd secondary were in fire position. Every time the hammer fell and the cap fired but not the charge.

Loaded again and the same thing . Cap # 1 fired but no bang. Waited then tried a second cap which fired. I don't understand what the problem could be.

Sounds like your BP/nipple is plugged - maybe strip push the load out reassemble and pop a few caps with the muzzle right near the floor maybe put a little dust or some such on the floor under the muzzle and make sure the popping cap blows pressure on the dirt/floor.

You know Flounder may have struck the key - are you running a patch after each shot - if so how wet is the patch? it really doesn't take much to foull the nipple.

I have tried the alcohol and it works but have good old true blue Windex far better - the ammonia in the is a natural metal stripper and the evaporation of the ammonia carries water off with it. The KEY - just barely damp patches...

WinPatch.jpg

Also when patching listen for the air to be pushed out of the nipple and breech plug as you push the rod and patch down quickly - the sound will tell if the breech has moisture in it...

Here's my Accura MR:

Attachments

• RenderedContent-36C96B12-BEEC-4308-9C7B-001B849FE21A.JPG
    RenderedContent-36C96B12-BEEC-4308-9C7B-001B849FE21A.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 501
  • RenderedContent-493D083E-018B-484E-BBA9-2BDEBF38127D.JPG
    RenderedContent-493D083E-018B-484E-BBA9-2BDEBF38127D.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 501
flounder said:
If your cap is going off then you shouldn't be getting a misfire if you have good dry powder and a good cap and a good clean flashhole. One thought came to me while I was keyboarding. What are you swabbing with? I always use 90% alcohol, that alcohol dries so fast that I don't have to worry about getting things too wet down there. Just a thought. Good Luck
Art

You know, I started swabbing with some pink gel that I had bought a while back labeled as "blackpowder cleaner". It was in my range box and I had left my winded in the car.

I ended up switching to Windex, and then managed three shots in a row. I was swabbing with sipping wet patches at first, because I was using 249 gr XTP in the green sabots from the package.

This bullet sabot combination was extremely tight in the bore, so tight I needed to really clean between shots. I think it likely the pink stuff is water based and I was leaving moisture behind in the breech.

I also recommend the Windex and just a little spritz to make it slightly damp. Then use both sides of a dry patch. Too much of the Gell and it could get into the Breech plug and put the sparks/flame out.

One other thought I have is that since this is a "New to You" rifle, do you know "What Brand" of nipple is in it? I tried some of the old Brass AMPCO nipples in mine once and had intermittent hang/no fires too. I am sure in that case that they had made a change and the flash hole was too small. I switched back to a Knight Red Hot and no more problems. TOW has a new version made of hardened steel, I think, and Sabotloader has had good luck with it.

When you pull back on the hammer is it easy to pull back or do you have to pull firmly? If the spring is sort of collapsed you could have issues there too but sort of doubt it.

Most likely to much cleaner or a nipple issue. I use the same caps myself.

Shame about the Thimble and ram rod? Any idea what caused that?

ShawnT said:
I also recommend the Windex and just a little spritz to make it slightly damp. Then use both sides of a dry patch. Too much of the Gell and it could get into the Breech plug and put the sparks/flame out.

One other thought I have is that since this is a "New to You" rifle, do you know "What Brand" of nipple is in it? I tried some of the old Brass AMPCO nipples in mine once and had intermittent hang/no fires too. I am sure in that case that they had made a change and the flash hole was too small. I switched back to a Knight Red Hot and no more problems. TOW has a new version made of hardened steel, I think, and Sabotloader has had good luck with it.

When you pull back on the hammer is it easy to pull back or do you have to pull firmly? If the spring is sort of collapsed you could have issues there too but sort of doubt it.

Most likely to much cleaner or a nipple issue. I use the same caps myself.

Shame about the Thimble and ram rod? Any idea what caused that?

I don't know what brand of nipple, and assumed it was the original Knight. This rifle spent most of its life sitting in safes, but it is always possible someone swapped it out at some point. Most surfaces on the rifle look brand new. There's really no evidence of field wear or even use-wear anywhere.

I may go ahead and grab some new Knight nipples.

The breech plug is an old design because it requires a slotted tool to remove (I.e. No hex surface for a socket). Could a breech plug upgrade be in order?

I do think the heavy amounts of cleaner were an issue, and will follow the advice of people here to use slightly damp patches with something that will help evaporate water.

The hammer spring is stout and it it hitting the caps with authority, so I think iall's good there.

I have no idea what happened to the Accura. I was checking the scope by braving my elbows on a shooting bench and resting my left hand on a bag.

110 gr of BH209 is a stout load, but it was certainly within specs of the rifle. I think the thimble gave way and then the subsequent separation of the ramrod caused it to bend.

I will have to contact CVA asap for warranty repair.

Luckily I have about 6 weeks to iron out these issues before ML opener.

Mine is a .54cal and it still has the original Slotted BP too, nothing wrong with those. Never saw the need to change that myself. The slotted tool don't bother me. As far as I know the hex style #11 plug is still the same BP design just made so you can use a socket. I don't see that as any part of the issue, unless you just want to use a socket instead of the slotted tool.

Since it is in the condition you say it is, It is possible that it still has the original Knight Red Hot Nipple too. If the problems go away with changing the swabbing solution, then your good to go. Never had a fail to fire with a Knight nipple and use them in my rifles that are not Knights. They last me a long time as long as the hammer is flat faced and don't have the dimple for 209's in it.

I am also surprised that the .429 240 grain XTP in the Green sabot is so tight. It must have a nice tight bore. There are some Green crush ribs if it is that hard.

Take that palm saver off the end of your MR ramrod while shooting. That is what caused the condition. The bullet and muzzle blast leaving the barrel will push anything sticking out beyond the barrel out of the way.

Re: RE: Re: Bad day at the range - Accura MR broken and MK-85 won't fire

Busta said:
Take that palm saver off the end of your MR ramrod while shooting. That is what caused the condition. The bullet and muzzle blast leaving the barrel will push anything sticking out beyond the barrel out of the way.
+2

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

sabotloader said:
Tannhauser said:
GM54-120 said:

Sounds like your BP/nipple is plugged - maybe strip push the load out reassemble and pop a few caps with the muzzle right near the floor maybe put a little dust or some such on the floor under the muzzle and make sure the popping cap blows pressure on the dirt/floor.

You know Flounder may have struck the key - are you running a patch after each shot - if so how wet is the patch? it really doesn't take much to foull the nipple.

I have tried the alcohol and it works but have good old true blue Windex far better - the ammonia in the is a natural metal stripper and the evaporation of the ammonia carries water off with it. The KEY - just barely damp patches...

WinPatch.jpg

Also when patching listen for the air to be pushed out of the nipple and breech plug as you push the rod and patch down quickly - the sound will tell if the breech has moisture in it...

This is s good tip. Im going to make s batch of damp Windex patches as you recommend to keep in my range box. It will save some time as well to just grab a damp patch instead of having to take a dry patch and apply some cleaner each time.

another part of this is you really do not need to use a new patch each shot. As long as the is a little bit of moisture in the patch use it over and over again. I really doesn't matter is it is dirty as long as it has moisture - you are not trying to spic & span clean the bore you just want it smooth!

I patch each shot because I want the bore in the same condition from shot to shot - but truth be know shooting caps with T7 you really do not need to patch at all for several shots - if or once you get the lubricants burned out of the barrel.

sabotloader said:
another part of this is you really do not need to use a new patch each shot. As long as the is a little bit of moisture in the patch use it over and over again. I really doesn't matter is it is dirty as long as it has moisture - you are not trying to spic & span clean the bore you just want it smooth!

I patch each shot because I want the bore in the same condition from shot to shot - but truth be know shooting caps with T7 you really do not need to patch at all for several shots - if or once you get the lubricants burned out of the barrel.

Good to know. I can at least save s little money in patches to put towards my next muzzleloader :D

I think the reason I was patching with such damp patches is the Hornady .430 XTP in green sabots were simply too tight.

Even with a pristine barrel I had to really muscle that sabot down the barrel. With any fouling it became almost impossible, and I was using both hands in the ramrod. Not good.

When I switched to some Powerbelts patched between shots with a spritz of Windex I was three for three in instant ignition.

The Piwerbelts were much easier to load. I received them as part of a package deal, and gave no plans to hunt with them.

I am going to switch to a .452 XTP because I have many more options on hand as far as MMO sabots to try and find a better fitting sabot/hunting bullet combination.

Back