Bad day at the range - Accura MR broken and MK-85 won't fire

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harvester Green smooth sabots will be much easier to load than the Hornady/MMP green sabots. Its often the recommended sabot for that application in CVA. Green smooth and black smooth Harvesters have nearly identical loaded OD.

GM54-120 said:
Harvester Green smooth sabots will be much easier to load than the Hornady/MMP green sabots. Its often the recommended sabot for that application in CVA. Green smooth and black smooth Harvesters have nearly identical loaded OD.

I plan to try some Harvester Green Crush ribs as well. I have a fair number of .430 XTP I want to shoot at some point (also part of the package deal).

I just need to find some. I was going to order a pack from Harvester but they wanted $8.50 for shipping, which is almost as much as the sabots!

Is there a good source elsewhere in the internet for Harvester sabots?

Cabelas, Grafs and Carlos at Ed's gun shop should all stock them. Grafs is where i normally get Harvester sabots but i can just walk in and pick them up. Best pricing ive seen at around $6/50.

Man I hate days like that.

My bet is it was a moisture issue. The MK's ignition is a very good design, I truly have never had a misfire or even a hangfire on any of mine. My brother in law had an issue last year on his... due to swabbing with a wet patch. Gun would not fire after that.

IMO, the redhot knight nipple is excellent - and you probably have one since the rifle is like new. I also like the rws 1075 caps, but the cci's work just fine.
The flame channel in the bp is good sized, and yes...nothing wrong with having the slotted head at all. The only difference is the tool to remove/install. The CR sabots will probably help your loading issue... I use them mostly in my MK's. Keep us posted. :yeah:

Too bad about your MR...I've not ever been fond of that design.

I have a message in to CVA and will follow up with a call on Monday. I hope the team live up to their lifetime warranty claim.

I added this to the MK-85 last night. It's just an old Simmons I had laying around, but it will do in a pinch. I had it mounted previously on a Mossberg 500 slug gun, and the recoil from multiple seasons of practice didn't phase it.

I applied electrician's tape about 3/4 of the away around the scope btwwen the rings. I'm assuming this will protect against backblast?

Attachments

• RenderedContent-ED1CFA5A-F050-4225-B7A8-A825BFC4ED6E.JPG
    RenderedContent-ED1CFA5A-F050-4225-B7A8-A825BFC4ED6E.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 307
Hers a better picture of my electricians tape job. I need to add a piece where it's coming loose, but otherwise it seems to be holding up.

Attachments

• RenderedContent-F7752FA3-8722-405D-A84F-910EB1289BF1.JPG
    RenderedContent-F7752FA3-8722-405D-A84F-910EB1289BF1.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 168
Here is another thought...

ScopeProtectorPattern.jpg

another option that I use

Wshouds2.jpg

sabotloader said:
Here is another thought...

ScopeProtectorPattern.jpg

another option that I use

Wshouds2.jpg

The rubber cover looks very professional, but probably beyond my patience :D

The bottom option is the McNett camo cling tape, correct? It lioks more my speed :)

I think that is just Mole Skin and a couple zip ties.

Electrical tape between rings is what I use on my MK-85, has worked well for me for decades. I once bought a plastic/leather scope wrap cover years ago but it seemed bulky at the range so I stuck with the electrical tape.

Thanks everyone for all the MK-85 troubleshooting.

I am 100% convinced the issue was too much moisture being left in the barrel/breach after swabbing with wet patches.

I switched to using damp patches using only Windex with ammonia, and yesterday's range session I had 100% reliability for 15 shots on a row.

Tannhauser said:
Thanks everyone for all the MK-85 troubleshooting.

I am 100% convinced the issue was too much moisture being left in the barrel/breach after swabbing with wet patches.

I switched to using damp patches using only Windex with ammonia, and yesterday's range session I had 100% reliability for 15 shots on a row.
Sounds like a good ole MK-85 to me. :wink: :yeah:

Back