ballistic silvertips

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black powder

Reaction score
out of stock caliber.243 with the Barnes vor-tx ..80grain tipped tsx bt ...so i will use the 95 grain WINCHESTER SUPREME BALISTIC SILVERTIPS .

went to the range and tried them out ..at 100yds they grouped well .out of the 20 bullets that i shot with my T/C ENCORE one of the bullets did not fire [dry-fire] removed the cardridge and saw were the fire pin hit the primer ..i assume it was a bad primer ..

I had the same problem with my Ithaca M37 not firing Winchester shells and was told by a smith that winchester is notorious for haveing hard primers. Your spring might not be heavy enough. Just a thought.

Hornet22savage said:
I had the same problem with my Ithaca M37 not firing Winchester shells and was told by a smith that winchester is notorious for haveing hard primers. Your spring might not be heavy enough. Just a thought.

went back to the range with a new box of winchester supreme balistic silvertips ..had 3 missfires ..and looking at the 3 dryfire shells i could see that the fire pin did not do it's job ..also fired a box of power points no problems with the winchester power point ..not the same primer ..will uprade my hammer spring for a 51 lbs spring from mike bellm ..

Like I said I noticed it with their sabot slugs in my Ithaca. I took my gun to a smith, he's the one that told me about the primers he also notice that my hammer was dragging on the bolt and slowing down. I have always been able to fire misfired shells if I just pull the trigger instead of squeezing. Hope it works out for you.

Back