Barnes 300 Grain MZ Expanders (AGAIN!!)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Today was my last chance to get to the range & shoot my Henry Ball 10 ML-II before PA's Opening of Deer season in 2 weeks. Bear opens in one short week! :lol: I will be gone for 2 weeks starting next Sunday exception being coming home for Thanksgiving Turkey (just to appease Mrs. Loggy :lol: )

I took my HB & ole 30-06 Rem 700 to the range for some final comfort builders. Was trying some of the newer Hornday 165 InterBonds out of my 06 & the 300 Barnes MZ Expanders in my 10 ML-II which it was prevously shot-in for. The 06 was previously shot in with the Federal 165 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws but they are just way too salty.

Very windy 15-20 mph & temps were in high 40's. Not too bad.
I shot my Henry Ball first. I was shooting at 75 yards with the Barnes 300 Grain MZ Expanders, 45 grains AA 5744 (weighed) & Win 209 primers. I had previous ran an alcohol swap & dry to remove all oil from barrel.

My first shot was inside my Birchwood Casey 2" Dot & second cut same hole & third was less than 1/2" from first two shots! Put a target at 100 Yd & shot one shot & hit center of Dot! I only shot one at 100 yards...most all my shootin is well inside the 100 YD Line but just wanted to see how accuracy was at 100 Yards. Not bad, Henry Ball goes back in the dugout in await for Opener. What a hell of a load for the 10 ML! I was toying with the idea of gettin some of those scarce Barnes Originals & order the Orange MMP sabots, trying the N-120 but I think to myself.....Why Loggy, you have an extremely accurate load in the 2,200 fps arena here that is consistent PLUS knocked that tuff TN Hog on its ass Big Time back in April. :lol:

Oh well, I think I sold myself to stay with a winner...or i should say those Barnes 300 Grain MZ Expanders did the selling! One thru a lil PA Whitetail will likely close the case. :lol:

My 30-06 took a lil longer. First 3 shot group was about 3.5" to the left. After 2 more 3 shot goups it earned its right to the dugout till the the Opening of Bear.

Below are my Henry Ball 10 ML-II Targets plus 3 Sabots I recovered which were "text book" as far as cut rifling groves & condition.

DSCF0193.jpg

DSCF0194.jpg

DSCF0196.jpg

With just a little bit more work, you should be good to go.

BR's from the cob pile

Corncob said:
With just a little bit more work, you should be good to go.

BR's from the cob pile

Per CC, if you aint gettin Sub 1/2" groups...stay home for sure! Still need Lil more work. I felt pretty damn good until your post. LOL! :lol:

Second thought, considerin source.....aka as from a pile of cobs, I still feel pretty good! :lol:

Latest posts

Back