Barnes Bullets-Blood trails?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesheba

Reaction score
A previous topic about these bullets revealed some folks are having problems with verifying a hit or miss with Barnes bullets as far as blood or hair evidence.Are there consistant experiences out there contrary to this? I would like to read about them.

Based on my limited experience with them (this year), shooting a 290 TMZ over 100 gr of T7 pellets, I can confidently say I dunno! First shot was in the intestines, hair at the sight of the hit- no blood. Deer ran approx 50 yards and bedded within sight. As I approached it, it got up and went a little ways on wobbly legs. Second shot, right behind the front leg and profuse bloodtrail. Upon further inspection, exit in the front shoulder and bullet went on ( so did the first). The fact that I got exit wounds was a plus, since most I have not with the mz. The first shot being sent off course by brush and into a non vital area I would not expect much blood (some maybe?). The second, could not ask for better results. I will definitely give them another go round, but at the suggestion of Doohan will also give the Parker BEs a try.

Regarding my post above, (see also WV doe, in success forum) I had some time to go back after recovery and look for blood at the sight of the first hit to the bed and found none. I would not judge a bullets worth on this as it was a horrible hit and something that no one hopes for. But looking back on it, it must have delivered some kind of shock to the animal as it only ran for about 50 yards. As I said, I dunno.

I don't use them, but a guy in my hunting club does. I've seen two deer he shot, both with excellent results. Both were complete pass throughs - one a bang/flop through one shoulder and out the ribs on the opposite side, the other a double lung behind the shoulder that left a major blood trail for the 30 or so yards the deer traveled after the shot.

Seems to me from what I have been reading, pretty much every projectile will ocassionally leave a poor blood trail. Everybody I hunt with has switched to Barnes Expanders and have been happy with them. I followed a blood trail the other night for 300 yds on a doe that was gut shot by a friend with a 300 gr expander. Trail was not fantastic since she was blleding out on the inside but there was enough to follow with some diligence. Most deer shot in the right spot with these don't go so far.

Seems to me from what I have been reading, pretty much every projectile will ocassionally leave a poor blood trail.

EVERY bullet can do that. It ALL depends on where the deer is hit.

big6x6 said:
Seems to me from what I have been reading, pretty much every projectile will ocassionally leave a poor blood trail.

EVERY bullet can do that. It ALL depends on where the deer is hit.

Yep.

I agree that hunting is not a guaranteed sport nor is anything associated. I will however say that I will go with the law of averages and for my time and money, 275 Parker BE's will be in the bore of my muzzleloader. I am flat out amazed by the efficiency of this bullet.

I didn't have any problems with blood trails :lol: My first deer this year went 15 yards and the other was a boom/flop. I shoot a Barnes Expander MZ 300gr.

Thanks to advice on this board, I just started using the Barnes TMZ. Shot 4 deer and all were bang-drop with no flop.

Barnes

Barnes is offering a free CD on their bullets from their website, called "Barnes Bullet Myths-BUSTED". It goes into various issues around Barnes bullets, such as the issue you described. You may find it interesting to check out. I, myself, have personally witnessed 2 deer hit that were never recovered and that was enough for me.

Back