Barnes Spit Fire 285 & T7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willy1usa

Reaction score
The first morning of late MZ season in Idaho I was packing my TC Pro-Hunter with Barnes Spit Fire MZ 285 bullets in front of 2 T7 pellets using .25 ACP for ignition. I called in a cow elk to about 45 yards with a quartering to me shot. She came in fast and I took the shot. The Spit fire entered in front of the front shoulder and was recovered under the skin near the second to last rib on the opposite side.

There was no blood trail, there was no trail at all, she was about 20 feet from point of impact. The Spit Fire turned the lower chest cavity into a soupy goo. I ended up losing only about 4-5 pounds of shoulder meat which I considered totally acceptable.
The original weight of the bullet averaged from 5 was 281.6 grains, recovered weight was 273.7 grains, one petal had broken off after hitting a rib.
I chronographed the 285 grain spit fire @ 1740 fps with 2 T7 pellets. I have since received a box of T7 Magnum pellets. Wondering about the new magnums I got out my digital scale and went to work. (Using an average of four, and actual weight in grains) I weighed 2-50 grain pellets of:
Pyrodex pellets @ 73 grains
Triple 7 pellets @ 60.1 grains
Magnum pellets @ 76.4 grains
I will have to wait to shoot the new magnums thru the chrony as the weather here as really not been good for the past few days. Hopefully I will get a couple hundred more fps out of the magnum and keep my 1.25? group. Bottom line the barnes bullets and T7 pellets worked well for me on this trip.

Barnes 285

Great bullet. I've taken deer, Blue Wildebeast, Impala and Warthog with it.

shoulder shot [why ????] just behind the shoulder through both lungs is the best shot .no meat lose and they don't run when both of they're lungs have collapsed ...shoulder shot on bears only ..

Willy1

Congrats on your cow !!

Those barns are awsome I shoot the 290gr Spitfire TMZ over 95gr of loose 777 2fg, out of my disc Extreme.

LB1

Back