Barnes tmz 290 grain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattledog

Reaction score
Anyone know where these are in stock? I have been looking off and on since January... Looking to switch over from the 250 grain.

Thanks!

I hunt with the Barnes .44 cal XPB 250 grain and the .44 cal 225 grain XPB. When I settled on those two bullets I bought a bunch of each. Then when BH209 and Winchester 209 shotshell primers became a hard find I loaded up on each of those. I'm plenty good for the next several hunting seasons.

Anyone know where these are in stock? I have been looking off and on since January... Looking to switch over from the 250 grain.

Thanks!
Look for them at the small local stores. There's a place in Indian River that has a bunch in stock. Same place I found 35 - 10oz bottles of Bh209.
IIRC Lincoln Outdoors have them and A-1 in Hillman has some in stock.
IIRC........ I may have a package of 13 or 14 that I'll never use.
I can't do anything, not even get to the reloading room with this new knee replacement or I'd check. Can't drive for another month.

Thanks for the help. I have enough of the 250 grain tmz for this season. Planning and procuring for 2023+ season. I have been poking around at the local stores without any luck.

My 2 cents. I have a friend of 50 years that bought a “Bone Collector.” He had a bad experience with a choice of bullets that probably cost him an elk. Now I am just saying HIS experience. He bought some expensive bullets that were a bit tight with the bullet/bore size even with a pristine bore using T7 powder. At the range he would swab between shots. So during his hunt he shot an elk and as it was trotting slowly away as he was reloading. He could only get the bullet halfway down the barrel and it stuck. He was actually banging the end of the ramrod against a pine tree in desperation. Crazy. I use BH209 with Barnes 290 TEZ in my little IMPACT! and have shot a dozen rounds with ease before swabbing/cleaning and could probably go longer if I wanted.

The difference between the two is saboted diameter. The TMZ being the larger. The TMZ is also a boat tail. I've always simply chosen the one that fits best in a given bore.
I knew about the boat tail but not the diameter.

I hunt with the Barnes .44 cal XPB 250 grain and the .44 cal 225 grain XPB. When I settled on those two bullets I bought a bunch of each. Then when BH209 and Winchester 209 shotshell primers became a hard find I loaded up on each of those. I'm plenty good for the next several hunting seasons.
Curious, what sabot are you using with the XPB and can you get 300 grain XPB?

Curious, what sabot are you using with the XPB and can you get 300 grain XPB?
One gun uses a plain green Harvester while the other can use either the plain green or crush rib harvester but I tend to stick with the plain green. I'm not certain on the 300 grain XPB, whether one is available or not, but pretty sure it would be in the .451 or maybe .458 size if they even make a .458.

Latest posts

Back