Barrel length for a Turkey Gun?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Reaction score
I have an extra barrel for my 3" 1100, no rib, fixed choke. I was thinking of sending it to Briley to have it shortened, adding screw-in chokes and a lengthened forcing cone. No bead or rib, I was thinking of putting it on my 1100, which has a provision for a Red-Dot type sight or scope. Now, what length should it be? 30" is a bit too long......... Strictly for turkeys, probably with Hevi-Shot. Also, since it's a standard bore, what choke should I use?

Blue-Dot-37.5

I have not hunted with modern shotguns for years but when I did I found any barrel in excess of 22 inches in length should be cut-off.

I would leave choke up to the choke installer you choose...he or she should be able to make a good decision with your barrel in hand and the info about what shot/shotshell you intend to use.

I have a 20" turkey barrell for my Mossberg 500 and love it. It is very handy in the woods. I never got to use it for turkeys, but it makes a great rabbit gun.

I use a Benelli M1 Super 90 with an 18.5" barrel. The screw in choke adds about .75". I also use a Bushnell Trophy red-dot. As far as I can tell, the only way to get the right choke is to experiment until you find a keeper and that can get expensive.

Cob

I have 2 Turkey guns. A Browning 12 3.5 Gold Stalker Semi & 12 3.5 BPS Pump. Both are 26" & both have a .680 Kicks GT Choke. Have tried many choke & bbl lengths etc & found a 26" (at least in a back bored gun) to be optimum for producing the most consistent/effective turkey patterns.

I've always like shorter barrels on all my shotguns....My turkey gun is a 24" barrel...

I like the balance of a 24" barrel on my turkey gun.

Not too long, and short either for easy movement in the woods. :)

My Browning and Remington both have 21" barrels. I wouldn't want them any lomger than 22" on a turkey gun. :wink:

My dearly missed Dad's favorite Turkey Gun was his ole 12 Ga. 3" Remington Wingmaster 870 Pump with a 30" FC Factory Barrel. Gun mfg before the Rem Choke & before our after market choke Mania!! :lol:

His gun killed 40 or more Gobblers in my blessed Dad's hunting tenure. No screw in chokes etc!!!!!! My Dad always said the longer bbls with heavy turkey loads provided the best pattern, optimum velocity and best sight plane while shootin at ole Tom. Hey, thats my ole Dad's opinion, what the heck do Dad's know anyway! LOL! If you approached my ole Man with a Hack Saw to shortin his set-up...God bless ya! :lol:

BD, IMO I suggest you reconsider before you hacksaw that 30 incher... Maybe some patterning is in order first.

I sorta feel guilty with my shorty lil 26 inchers!!! :lol:

Loggy I agree that those old 30 inchers did kill birds and did it well but now you can get at least the same or better performance with a short barrel. :D

Loggy
I hear ya and agree with your dad 100%, Why do trap shooters use 34" barrels? Because of the longer sight plane, same for duck hunters.
Skeet shooters and grouse hunters use short barrels for rapid swinging.
Turkey's are usually just walking when they are shot.
Then again I am just an old fart.
Ken

Latest posts

Back