Remington 700 mountain profile barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes a lot of learning still to do - I’m in no rush & gonna let the smoke roll this season. Starts the 28th
Thats the day before my birthday . Where you from Patrick ?? In Michigan my season ends on the 22nd . The .410 super 91 White still hopes to get lucky !!!

MIssouri - while bow seasons open to January 15th - I’m usually done when the alternative season ends - my firewood pile isn’t getting bigger when I’m out playing

I’ll look at the barrels Luke carries again
Hanks got them too . When you look at the lengths/dimentions i dont understand what bestill is talkin about honestly as far as that #6 goes , its .150 per side over bore at tbe muzzle .. . I dunno......
I like hanks direct ignition too if gettin fancy beyond 209's far better .
Both need better direction/guidence with part selections with reasons stated i think . Be nice to know why this or that is better or better suited to this or that . I dont like being in the dark for much , especially what we're talkin about with smokeless ability .

Last edited:
All depends on the steel used. The muzzle OD on my Douglas chromoly 50cal barrel is .793" and that is a heavier contour than the typical NULA 50cal
What contour is your NULA GM54--120 ?? Thats smokeless rated as well ??

Hanks got them too . When you look at the lengths/dimentions i dont understand what bestill is talkin about honestly as far as that #6 goes , its .150 per side over bore at tbe muzzle .. . I dunno......
I like hanks direct ignition too if gettin fancy beyond 209's far better .
Both need better direction/guidence with part selections with reasons stated i think . Be nice to know why this or that is better or better suited to this or that . I dont like being in the dark for much , especially what we're talkin about with smokeless ability .

Is your endeavor going to be hunting or just target shooting?

Just my opinion, but direct ignition FOR ME would be a complete PITA for hunting, especially with a bolt rifle. I see no SIGNIFICENT gain in using direct ignition, but a heck of a lot more work.
Consider also the laws concerning an unloaded muzzleloader here in MI. With the module system or 209 primer system, you can easily remove either and be in compliance. How's that going to work with DI?

Just my opinion, but direct ignition FOR ME would be a complete PITA for hunting, especially with a bolt rifle. I see no SIGNIFICENT gain in using direct ignition, but a heck of a lot more work.
Consider also the laws concerning an unloaded muzzleloader here in MI. With the module system or 209 primer system, you can easily remove either and be in compliance. How's that going to work with DI?
You got a point there encord50a . I just dont like moduals made of brass all that much . This whole thing is kinda frustrateing , really is . Awfull lot to going to a 45 just in the decisions made . The ultralite is lookin better and better !!! Lol

You got a point there encord50a . I just dont like moduals made of brass all that much . This whole thing is kinda frustrateing , really is . Awfull lot to going to a 45 just in the decisions made . The ultralite is lookin better and better !!! Lol

The module system is a great system, which I used in the Ultimate and now in the custom 45. It has worked flawless for me with many rounds sent using both rifles.
I would suggest..... its correct to think hard and long over what you may eventually end up with but, don't over think it.
You've mentioned the type of hunting you normally do and a Knight UL and BH would work just fine for you. But, if your intentions for future use is to also use SML, then a custom or semi-custom, such as an Encore or CVA conversion would work fine for your style of hunting. Just remember, in MI you can use a SML during the general season, but not in the dedicated muzzleloader season. I also do not believe a SML will be legal in MI.

There is ALOT of $$$ in this switching calibers on a 700ml . My 700ml was shot 3 times thats it !!! Its a new gun !!! I like the idea of smokeless ability especially on shooting expense but damn ya sure pay up front for it !!! It also will never be close in weight to an ultralight , never . The ultralight is a REALLY NICE PACKAGE , for less $$ for a hunter like me and the things i do hunting .

There is ALOT of $$$ in this switching calibers on a 700ml . My 700ml was shot 3 times thats it !!! Its a new gun !!! I like the idea of smokeless ability especially on shooting expense but damn ya sure pay up front for it !!! It also will never be close in weight to an ultralight , never . The ultralight is a REALLY NICE PACKAGE , for less $$ for a hunter like me and the things i do hunting .

There's your answer...….. ;)

The module system is a great system, which I used in the Ultimate and now in the custom 45. It has worked flawless for me with many rounds sent using both rifles.
I would suggest..... its correct to think hard and long over what you may eventually end up with but, don't over think it.
You've mentioned the type of hunting you normally do and a Knight UL and BH would work just fine for you. But, if your intentions for future use is to also use SML, then a custom or semi-custom, such as an Encore or CVA conversion would work fine for your style of hunting. Just remember, in MI you can use a SML during the general season, but not in the dedicated muzzleloader season. I also do not believe a SML will be legal in MI.
Yea and right there is the problem for me . Not Legal.......

There's your answer...….. ;)
I DO like the idea of making the 50 all it can be though . Id like one around thats NICE !!! A RUML barreled set up or even use a GM 1in28 , 27" 500/510 ss blank i have . That blank is smokeless rated . A RUML style plug and luke's modual bolt face would work for either i believe with some work . Not sayin it wouldnt be a decent hunting 50 with just a 209 conversion installed the way it is .

Last edited:
I DO like the idea of making the 50 all it can be though . Id like one around thats NICE !!! A RUML barreled set up or even use a GM 1in28 , 27" 500/510 blank i have . That blank is smokeless rated . A RUML style plug and luke's modual bolt face would work for either i believe with some work .
You're thinking again...………… LOL

You're thinking again...………… LOL
Sort of a heavier , run whatcha brung , poor boys 50 NULA like "Somebody Else has" around here ???? Lol.....yea im afraid thinkin is a terminal disease with me..... Ive asked him for its contour earlier too.....
I think i like the "bases loaded"......Lol

Last edited:
I’m still thinking about a Mcgowen #1or2 profile 22-24” to hunt with black horn & maybe smokeless some day / I only punch paper to zero scopes

Now I will give you the muzzle diameter of my ULA .50, it is .742. That leaves a wall thickness of about 1/8 inch. The barrel was designed that way, no way would I want to take another barrel and turn it down that thin. I would think the ULA was designed from the git go with certain steel, heat treat or cold treat or whatever to be able to be safely used with that thin barrel.
Perhaps you could get lucky and find a ULA almost for less than a redo. I got my ULA, with a Zeiss scope, extra breech plug, Talley bases and rings for about $750.

Now I will give you the muzzle diameter of my ULA .50, it is .742. That leaves a wall thickness of about 1/8 inch. The barrel was designed that way, no way would I want to take another barrel and turn it down that thin. I would think the ULA was designed from the git go with certain steel, heat treat or cold treat or whatever to be able to be safely used with that thin barrel.
Perhaps you could get lucky and find a ULA almost for less than a redo. I got my ULA, with a Zeiss scope, extra breech plug, Talley bases and rings for about $750.
Man you didnt buy that one you stole it !!!!! Wow !!!!!!!!

With a Knight Uktralight around $800 - can they be found used like around $600 or is that dreaming? I’m still leaning toward a rebarrel on this 700 - new barrel new ignition & well under that cost. Is there another quality 45 cal out there that makes more sense?

Latest posts

Back