Barrel on my MK-85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabinajiles

Reaction score
In a discussion on another sight, someone claimed that my MK-85 had to have a GM barrel on it. From everything I have read, and seen, I am 95% certain it has a Wiseman barrel. I don't remember what year I purchased it but I bought it new, a Predator model with the stainless barrel and black composite stock. The barrel has the cone type crown on the muzzle, is a fairly low serial # and has a Timney trigger. There are 6 lands in the 1:28 twist barrel. What do you think?

Attachments

• image-2018-11-201.jpg
    image-2018-11-201.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 192
  • image-2018-11-20.jpg
    image-2018-11-20.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 192
I would say it is a Wiseman barrel. Nice rifle you have there. Anyone who thinks it has to be a Green Mountain barrel is ignorant about the history of Knight Rifles. I have more than a handful of them and not one of the ones I have at the present time has a GM barrel.

flounder said:
I would say it is a Wiseman barrel. Nice rifle you have there. Anyone who thinks it has to be a Green Mountain barrel is ignorant about the history of Knight Rifles. I have more than a handful of them and not one of the ones I have at the present time has a GM barrel.
I don't believe he has a clue either. The argument was that all the 1:28 twist .50 barrels on the MK-85 were made by GM so if my barrel was 1:28 twist, it had to be a GM barrel and if it were not a GM barrel, then it had to be a slower twist. I know that is incorrect.

sabinajiles said:
In a discussion on another sight, someone claimed that my MK-85 had to have a GM barrel on it. From everything I have read, and seen, I am 95% certain it has a Wiseman barrel. I don't remember what year I purchased it but I bought it new, a Predator model with the stainless barrel and black composite stock. The barrel has the cone type crown on the muzzle, is a fairly low serial # and has a Timney trigger. There are 6 lands in the 1:28 twist barrel. What do you think?

I do have a MK with a GM barreled action and I have one with a Wiseman - they are distinctive!

sabinajiles said:

He's wrong! First of all, the .50 cal Green Mountain barrels all have 8 lands and grooves. Your 6 land and groove barrel automatically removes them.

Busta said:
sabinajiles said:

He's wrong! First of all, the .50 cal Green Mountain barrels all have 8 lands and grooves. Your 6 land and groove barrel automatically removes them.
I was sure he was wrong, too. He came off as one of those types that will argue anything he says forever before ever admitting he is wrong. It wasn't worth wasting any time or energy trying to convince him otherwise.

Hey
I have a stainless MK 85 predator with a laminate stock. My serial number is much higher than yours. Mine is S followed by six numbers. My barrel crown does not look that much different than yours. I know mine is a Green Mountain because it has the Green Mountain emblem stamped in the barrel.
Are you making the determination that it is a Wiseman by the serial number or the crown?
Just trying to learn here.

Crown and its a 6 land barrel would be my guess. The Lothar crown looks much different IIRC and Numrich barrels are super early only as far as i know. I think some very early GM barrels did not have the logo on them but they were still 8 lands.

GM54-120 said:
Crown and its a 6 land barrel would be my guess. The Lothar crown looks much different IIRC and Numrich barrels are super early only as far as i know. I think some very early GM barrels did not have the logo on them but they were still 8 lands.

The GM barrels on the MK did not have the GM Logo on them. The barrel pictured is a Wiseman. The Lothar crown is different more like a modern stepped target crown (IIRC) had one several years ago.

GM54-120 said:
Yeah, the crown and 6 land barrel are the main reasons. As GM54-120, and others, have said, all the GM barrels have 8 lands. I don't know when Knight went with strictly the GM barrels but the low serial number probably just puts it in that manufacturing period when they were using other barrels.

Back