Barrel protection while hunting??????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulions

Reaction score
Our early, 3 day muzzleloader season opens this Friday here in Florida. Friday morning, before I do anything else I'll swab the barrel of my Endeavor with a couple dry patches, an alcohol patch, and then a couple more dry patches. After I finish that I will fire a few primers to foul the barrel and then load it for the hunt using 110gr. BH209, 250gr. shockwave and a Harvester short black. My question is, if I don't shoot anything the first day (I'll hunt Friday, Saturday and Sunday) what should I do about the barrel now that I have completely removed any oil from it. Will it be Ok for those three days or should I run a lighlty oiled patch down the barrel to where the bullet is seated and then dry patch out the excess to help protect the barrel. I'm affraid this might affect acurracy. I understand that if it rains, I will probably need to shoot the gun, clean it and start over but there isn't any rain in the forecast. The weather is supposed to be perfect. What do you guys do when hunting 3 or 4 days in a row. Thanks again for your help.

I have heard of several ways of dealing with that problem, and tried all of them . The one I ended up using is a product called Sheath or Barrier [sold under two names], it is made by Birchwood Casey.
I clean the gun well apply it and let it dry , it makes a micro thin coating that protects against rust and don't seem to bother the powder or accuracy. I have been using it for several hunting seasons and am happy with it. Lee

When I used to store a load, I would come home, and dry patch the barrel. Then take a VERY LIGHTLY COATED patch of Birchwood Casey Sheath and swab down to the projectile. In the morning I would dry patch that out and just go hunt again...

Thanks, thats what I was think about doing. I think that will work and should help wipe any moisture from the barrel.

Cayuga,

Why did you say when you used to store a load? Do you unload your gun every afternoon, even though you are going to hunt again the next morning?

Do you think it would start to rust in a few days? I guess it could but I would doubt it.

Put a piece of tape or a small balloon over the muzzle and call it good.

Back