Bear Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
There was a time when I really enjoyed hunting for mule deer and elk. Especially, elk. It's funny how we can change as we get older. I think about the deer and elk that are having a hard time this year due to snow. A lot are dying from this winter. Especially, up in northern Colorado. I'm sure we have the same problem in my area too. It's happened a lot in the past.

On top of starving from bad winters they have to deal with the predators. Bear, cats and coyotes. I've lost all desire to kill any more deer and elk. Life is tough enough for them. I don't need to add to it. I also have a desire to protect them as much as I can. It's not only good conservation, but it makes me feel good.

So, one way to help is to take out some of the predators. Number one on my hit list is bears. I wish we still had a spring hunt so I could have a chance to kill two bears, but the tree huggers got it discontinued. Now we have too many bears in a lot of areas. I wish mine was one of them, but we aren't over run with bears. Usually, only one bear is taken in my units for about 300 hunters. I'd love to be that one who's successful, but it's a challenge. I'm sure as hell going to give it my best effort.

That's it. For what hunting I have in my life it will be for bear and of course coyote. Mountain lion tags are almost impossible to get, so i'll leave that for those with a lot of points. I'll put all my focus on bear hunting now. I've set the Triumph up with a peep sight, because shots will be close in heavy timber. No baiting here, so I have to go in after them. I need a setup that's quick to shoulder and shoot. No restriction on ammo. It's a rifle season, so I can use sabots. I have a big box of 250gr bloodlines that should work, and i'm also considering the Harvester Hard Cast 330gr bullets. I'll use BH 209 of course. I had a vent liner put in the BP to make it more reliable with BH. I don't want any failures when facing a bear at close range.

That's about it. Every bear and coyote I can kill means more fawns and calves will survive.

btw ...Before you say it. Of course the meat will be eaten. My Cheyenne friend will use every other bit of the bear too. Nothing will go to waste.

Pete 

I don't understand your putting a peep sight on your triumph. :Questuon: Why don't you just use your side lock :?:
Good luck with your bear hunting. Hope you bag one. ;)

Ray............. :Red tup:

A few reasons Ray. Sidelocks have primitive sights and that's all i'll use on them. It's a personal thing. I can't see the primitive sights anymore. With the Triumph, I have a FO front sight to go along with the peep. Even though it's still kind of blurry I can at least see it.

Another reason is my back is really bad. It breaks for the slightest reason now. I can't handle the weight of sidelocks anymore. The Triumph is 6 1/2lbs. The Last sidelock I owned was 10 lbs with most of the weight in the long barrel. Last meaning I don't own any sidelocks anymore.

If I didn't have my Cheyenne friend getting the meat out for me, I wouldn't be hunting at all.

The last reason, and not the most important is I want a gun I know is going to fire every time. Close encounters with bears is no time for misfires, or even slow fires. It's always possible with any gun, but the odds go up with sidelocks. It only takes one time with a grumpy bear to be in trouble.

Pete,
It was a rough winter on game here as well. We have an additional predator, the transplanted Canadian wolves.
Since you will be hunting in a centerfire season do you carry a sidearm just in case?

Not sure if I can even observe any bear from our stand this spring and I will miss that, again. I sure cannot pack any bait. Had last of three Rizotomy Abalations in low back two weeks ago but the nerves are not dead yet. Nurse said it may take another couple weeks if I am lucky, yikes.
John

Latest posts

Back