Beer Brewers?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Anyone here into home brewing beer? Mead or wine?

I've been brewing ales now for about 3 years. My first two attempts were kits and both failed miserably. But nearly everything since has been good enough to compete with typical beers of their styles with a few that were better and some that were worse. Only one was dumped. My mash temp got away from me and left me with a sickly sweet oatmeal stout. I finished my 47th brew last night not counting the kits that failed.

I've been wanting to try making some mead, and recently had a dry hopped mead that was outstanding. 

SWMBO has made 2 wines (apple and cranberry), but she'd lazy and they've just sat there. She's tried to bribe me to bottle them for her, but I feel it needs to be her baby since she was the one who made them. She quit helping me bottle my beer loooong ago.

We tried them both when she transferred them, and they were both pretty good actually. However she has left them in their Better Bottles and we moved, which had to have sloshed them around in the 2 hour drive. I figure they are likely oxidized now, and may not be worth keeping around. Maybe I'll inherit all of the wine bottles, corks, and corker when I finally jump into the meads. And maybe I can just make her a few wines (I don't often drink wine, and when I do I prefer a Shiraz or Chianti).

Very much legal, though I understand that some states still don't allow it. 

Liquor on the other hand is not legal anywhere.

Carter made it legal in '79 I believe (beer brewing). I'm not sure when with mead/wine.

If you don't make liquor correctly it can kill you. Beer, mead, and wine are safe.

There is a claus with brewing in that you can only make up to 200 gals per adult, and you cannot sell or trade it, though you can give it away.

One fella converted his garage into a bar and charged. The feds got him when someone turned him in.

Ah ok. I love the tv show Moonshiner. I don't know how those guys can be on national tv, and not get caught?

Very foolish. But maybe it's not real or they are skipping a step that actually creates alcohol so as not to truly break the law. I haven't watched it.

I've known some moonshiners who didn't skip any steps.

PS: I went to high school in east Tennessee. It was a dry county but white lightning was everywhere.

SWMBO used to work at a trucking company and knew a driver or two who would bring shine from Caroline. Some she said was very good, and some was the rotgut stuff you hear about. 

If I want something like that I just reach for the Wild Turkey… I like Ranger Creek .44 Caliber, but it's a bit expensive. Love a rye whiskey!

It's a term I learned on a home brewing forum that's taken from a book. It stands for She Who Must Be Obeyed. I just got used to it and ended up adopting it. Funny as the term isn't quite fitting here.

I keep a log of my brews. So far, since Nov 2011, I have made:

American amber - 4
American IPA - 6
American brown - 5
American honey wheat - 5
American pale - 5
blonde - 4
honey blonde - 2
pumpkin ale - 1
Christmas spice ale - 1
old ale - 2 (one is an Arrogant Bastard clone)
American rye pale - 1
Cascadian dark ale - 1
coffee stout - 1
honey cherry wheat - 1
light honey ale - 1
hazelnut brown ale - 1
oatmeal coffee stout - 1
jalapeño cream ale - 1 (another waiting to be brewed)
hybrid dark strong ale - 1 (something I just created)
extra special bitter (British pale) - 2
brown sugar ale - 1 (something I just created, but figure to be similar to a Belgian pale/blonde)
Belgian wittier - (waiting to be brewed)

In my beer brewing supply store's cart is ingredients for another pumpkin beer, as well as another brown I'll be adding chocolate (cocao nibs) to.

I'm also thinking, as I love peppers, about creating a recipe similar to a cream ale using Tai chilis and rice extract to give an Asian character.

Latest posts

Back