Bench setup suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can’t decide on what type/ brand of shooting rest to get as well as a portable bench to go along with it. I see some members here use a homemade bench with saw horses. Just looking for ideas, inspiration and suggestions on what’s working for you. Appreciate any feedback!

For a portable, I use this: The Stable Table | Portable Shooting Bench | Caldwell

However, I did NOT like the top. I ended up taking a piece of 3/4 plywood and designing my own.

IF......... you plan on shooting any matches or the like, you want the portable of some kind.

2016 trip to Friendship with Ultimate.jpg

IMG_0958.JPG

10-4-15b.jpg

This one isn't portable and not easily moved.............

IMG_1625.JPG

My home 100yd range.

IMG_1628.JPG

Last edited:
Fortunate to use a commercial range with good benches and the private property I have access to also has a great bench installed (very solid, 4x4s and 2x4s with cement pad).

Back forever ago when I shot on very unimproved land (ie, there may be a trail to drive down.... or not) I set up my truck bed to shoot out of from prone position... If you have no topper, etc. setting something up to sit in the bed and have a bench surface at right height should be doable too with a few clamps and a piece of plywood.

I had a portable bench I used to take out back. Man, that thing was heavy for its size.. I ended up throwing it out.
I imagine there are some better designs now. That one was a real finger pincher to put together if you weren't careful.

What kind or portable bench are you looking for? Something to carry out back or throw on an ATV, or something to toss into your vehicle?

I made a portable bench that was in a gun rag magazine one time many years ago. It consisted of three black pipes for legs and a 3/4 inch thick marine grade plywood. It was sturdy but far from portable as I got older. Finally my neighbor ran over it with a tractor and I had to make a new one. The top went through many changes but the original legs lived on after over 40 years. I still have it and use it from time to time but my range now is set up behind the barn with a solid permanent shooting bench. My friend gave up on his portable and now just shoots from the hood of his Bronco off of sand bags. Whatever you choose to buy or make,it must be sturdy and wobbly free.

I can’t decide on what type/ brand of shooting rest to get as well as a portable bench to go along with it. I see some members here use a homemade bench with saw horses. Just looking for ideas, inspiration and suggestions on what’s working for you. Appreciate any feedback!
Depending on one’s particular situation, having a well made portable bench & seat, maybe even the combo is a great thing. But if you have property to set up your own range, then building your own permanent bench is the way to go.
I was using a total redneck Hucklebuck set up for shooting. I was using my 2 good metal saw horses with a concrete slab from an AC unit with a brown folding metal chair. Until Decay & his brother came here & helped me build a nice permanent bench & we put the slab on the ground to put the chair on.
The gun rest; there are El Cheapo options & expensive options. I got the Primo’s lead sled version that splits into 2 pieces for a front rest only or a full gun rest with shelves for weight. I just use a cpl old hunting socks filled with sand if I use any weight at all.
Here’s the bench & rest.

Attachments

• 21DC99F0-3659-4046-B6D7-CF3838C159CB.jpeg
    21DC99F0-3659-4046-B6D7-CF3838C159CB.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 8D6F35CC-606A-4A34-9BDF-737E694F038B.jpeg
    8D6F35CC-606A-4A34-9BDF-737E694F038B.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I built 3 portable benches that my brothers and I used when we went to South and North Dakota to shoot prairie dogs. I went 15 consecutive years and they held up with no damage or repairs necessary. The legs fold up and they fit in the back of the pickup truck box, lying flat on the floor. I bought a 1/2” sheet of plywood and cut it in half so I had 2- 4’x 4’ square pieces and screwed them together so I had a 1 inch thick tabletop. In one corner I cut out an 18” square where I lean into while shooting. I bought foldable table legs from Menards for around $10 and screwed the legs to the plywood. The legs are screwed on slightly offset so the legs fold down flush with the wood. A coat or two of Thompson’s water seal preserved it.from the rain.
If you’re real tall or have to get a guy in a wheelchair under the bench you can screw on a 2” x 4” under the leg attachment to make the tabletop slightly higher off the ground.
I gave two away to friends and I still have the third and it’s still in perfect
condition after 25 years of use.

How do you like the Caldwell front rest you’re using Encore? Is there any issues with it slipping on the bench?I currently have the same one in my online shopping cart.

How do you like the Caldwell front rest you’re using Encore? Is there any issues with it slipping on the bench?I currently have the same one in my online shopping cart.
Its a good front rest and there's no slipping. There are pin/points on the bottom of the adjustable leg bolts, which will stop any slipping, even on the Trex of my table.

Take off your front swivel mount, as it'll tear the bag.

Get a piece of satin cloth to cover the rest. It'll allow a straighter rear recoil. If you shoot a rear rest, cover that too. Ok, I just let the secret out..............

lots of folks like these leg brackets to make a portable bench out of. i would get 4 and make the bench with 4 legs that are adjustable by threading a leg and adding a smaller diameter pipe in it.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...12870179/portable-shooting-bench-leg-brackets
These are the same brackets I welded up for my bench using black pipe for legs and 3/4 inch marine grade plywood for the top. Works really well. I believe I had the section of pipe on the brackets cut at 15 degrees.

I use the same front rest and rear bag as Mr Encore. I can also attest to their quality. Mine are at least 25 years old and still in excellent condition even though I've left them out in the rain a couple times. Sand bags are free and excellent also.

My Renegade was not designed to be shot off of the bench so, I don’t.

Attachments

• 22732DB9-CF5A-4713-81F6-0BD98321DAA4.jpeg
    22732DB9-CF5A-4713-81F6-0BD98321DAA4.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
concrete at the house.
the portables were built. i am shooting off my portable which is slightly heavier and larger than adams. adams is in the forground. it is solid and quite handy if we want to move quick or carry somewhere.
mine is strong enough to weld on. all i need to do is add a wood top. four legs tops 3 for strength.
JzIX7up.jpg

qiY2Q7T.jpg

W5rsNY2.jpg

NgLT7Ok.jpg

That looks like I can make that for mear pennies or from all the scrap wood I have laying around here from other projects.
Goodness I hope so. $95 for the other is a little steep IMO.

I don't believe that would be legal in competitions where you shoot prone and off cross sticks. As cheap as they can be made, just put spikes in the bottom to stick in the ground. 3" spikes.

Goodness I hope so. $95 for the other is a little steep IMO.

I don't believe that would be legal in competitions where you shoot prone and off cross sticks. As cheap as they can be made, just put spikes in the bottom to stick in the ground. 3" spikes.

I didn't think it was a bad price to pay. Didn't realize he was asking for a competition setup. I thought he was looking for what people were using.

Latest posts

Back