Benchmark

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Was able to do my first Satterlee test to find where Benchmark...….. from my rifle...…….. shot the best node within the charge range provided by the rifle's builder.
I learned a couple things in the process, or should I say after the process. I found I wasn't sizing down bullets far enough for SML and also seating force isn't as critical as I had thought it may be.

When I was completing the test, everything from shot to shot was identical. I actually used a stop watch to time myself from shot to the next loading.

The test was performed after fouling the barrel and using Arrowhead Rifles, 300gr XLD bullets. No shooting for accuracy, just sending them over the chronograph and into the berm. The outside temperature was 46° at the start and 50° when finished.

Now that a node has been identified, I made a temporary chart to use when (if) the range opens at the club. The club's range only reaches to 600yds, but I can identify actual drops and adjust the chart accordingly.

Drop chart.JPG

Great information I appreciate it, I have changed bullet seating tension while shooting a group several times and had no effect on the group size , that's in most of my smokeless rigs, however I do have a couple of rifles it it does seem to affect, all of my smokeless guns shoot best with real light seating tension, one hand. I have not been able to get away from 4198 weather h or IMR, I have shot reloader 7 some and it did good it just was so dirty I went back to 4198, I will be curious to see when you shoot benchmark for accuracy, thanks again for sharing info

Great information I appreciate it, I have changed bullet seating tension while shooting a group several times and had no effect on the group size , that's in most of my smokeless rigs, however I do have a couple of rifles it it does seem to affect, all of my smokeless guns shoot best with real light seating tension, one hand. I have not been able to get away from 4198 weather h or IMR, I have shot reloader 7 some and it did good it just was so dirty I went back to 4198, I will be curious to see when you shoot benchmark for accuracy, thanks again for sharing info

Benchmark has proven itself to have good accuracy at long range for what little shooting I've been able to do with the Fury ST2. Last year I sent a couple at 500yds, made an adjustment and fired another and needed a slight more adjustment LF. Then dads with kids showed up and with me using a muzzle brake I figured I'd just let them have the range.
When (if) it opens this year, other shooters are just going to have to deal with me using a brake. I'll work with them, but I'm not giving up a range day.

IMG_1717.JPG

Benchmark has proven itself to have good accuracy at long range for what little shooting I've been able to do with the Fury ST2. Last year I sent a couple at 500yds, made an adjustment and fired another and needed a slight more adjustment LF. Then dads with kids showed up and with me using a muzzle brake I figured I'd just let them have the range.
When (if) it opens this year, other shooters are just going to have to deal with me using a brake. I'll work with them, but I'm not giving up a range day.

View attachment 8809

How much louder is your rifle with the muzzle brake installed, as opposed to without it?

How much louder is your rifle with the muzzle brake installed, as opposed to without it?
I know this isn't much of an answer, but all brakes are loud.
I wear custom molded ear plugs that my audiologist had made for me, so I don't notice it. The wife on the other hand, says its MUCH louder.
I don't believe shooting this charge and a 300gr bullet without a brake would be pleasant.

Back