Best cartridge rifle? Make? Model? Caliber?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am interested in getting a good target rifle. 200-300yds. Some hunting. Price range: $1500 or so.

Maybe getting a high tech scope. This one looks inexpensive and interesting.

ATN X-Sight

Go On Popcorn GIF

You're better off putting a 500 dollar scope on a 50 dollar rifle than putting a 50 dollar scope on a 500 dollar rifle.

For a fantastic bench rifle, you can't beat a .243 Winchester. Find one built on a true Mauser bolt/action design. They are smooth as silk. And the design allows the bolt to be lifted by the side of your index finger with ease when extracting a spent case. Instead of having to roll your hand over and cup the bolt with the palm of your hand to extract a spent case.

The Tikka T3 has a great and smooth bolt.

Any bolt that has resistance or makes a click or has to be cammed over to lift/cock the bolt.....A...V...O...I...D!!!!!!! Lift the bolt on a Ruger American with the side of your index finger and you'll know what NOT to buy. I bought a Ruger America thinking I could live with it because of a 405 price tag. I can't live with it. My cobbled together 1938 Turkish Mauser scout rifle is a much better bench gun design.

Attachments

• IMG_4043.JPG
    IMG_4043.JPG
    536.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
What about Weatherby Vanguards?

Save some money and get a Howa. As far as caliber, my choices are 270 Win or 308.

Made by Howa. Buy a Howa instead and save a few bucks just on the name.

My recipe for small groups at 200y and beyond

Savage 12FV in 223, 6.5 creed, or .308 from Bass Pro for $425ish
Single shot adapter/sled from Kilough (IIRC) $20 (the blind box mag on this model savage sucks)
The Burris rings with the inserts $50
Mueller 8-32 w/ either the 1/8" target dot or the mildot reticle $250ish

You can do similar for not much more wiht Bergara, Howa, Tikka and end up with a MOA capable rifle.

Then your problem becomes feeding it quality ammo - so time to set up a single stage reloading press...

Yes, but with a little work it will be a little better. Maybe a lot better.

About 45 years ago I bought a Remington 788 in a 308 Winchester. I bought it from a Western Auto store in town. I had no one to help with my selection and was starting from scratch. As time goes on I couldn't hit a barn unless I was inside and figured that's the way it was. I just couldn't shoot. Later I missed a very nice Michigan Buck as a guest on a dairy farm in Stanton Michigan. The host was not happy with me and he took the gun and he couldn't hit anything either. As time went on I bought a 243 Winchester in a Ruger 77. Suddenly I was hitting my targets. I bought the book above and went through the Remington step by step. When done it would shoot as good as a gun can get. I learned a lot about guns and go through all my rifles before I even shoot them. Trigger jobs, floating, bedding, lapping, polishing to name a few skills learned.

You can do similar for not much more wiht Bergara, Howa, Tikka and end up with a MOA capable rifle.
I’ve helped a couple friends that wanted to get into hunting and shooting set up Tikkas, and in my opinion, they’re probably the most underrated rifles on the market. The two I messed with were MOA out of the box with factory ammo, and I was shocked.

I am digesting you (all) are letting me know. Guns are a art. A lifestyle. It takes understanding and begin to reach the satisfaction, a practice and is really FUN!

I am digesting you (all) are letting me know. Guns are a art. A lifestyle. It takes understanding and begin to reach the satisfaction, a practice and is really FUN!

Yup, but it also helps to have a clearly defined goal/purpose and such, otherwise you end up chasing your tail in circles and then wondering what to do with it once you catch it....

I own a variety of calibers by different makers. My rifle choice for out of the box accuracy would probably be my Tikka 223 with a 22" barrel in stainless. Price would leave you some room for a scope. My Tikka deserves better glass but it's used as a walking varminter. It has accounted for at least 50 coyotes since I have had it. It can keep groups under an inch with just about any ammo and under 1/2" with my reloads.
Ammo is cheap, reloading components are out there ( they aren't exactly cheap). Small rifle primers are accessible & brass is plentiful.

Last edited:
I am interested in getting a good target rifle. 200-300yds. Some hunting. Price range: $1500 or so.

Maybe getting a high tech scope. This one looks inexpensive and interesting.

ATN X-Sight

If you are going to hand load, and want good rifle to plink with it out to 300, there are tons of great cartridges.

But the best weighed by dollars paid vs performance out... That you can also hunt most anything in north America with would be: .308 Winchester

Ton's of other flatter shooters with more sexy press lately... Or more powerful... But you just can't beat the affordability of the 308 vs performance. If I owned one rifle only (and could hunt with bottle neck cartridges) it would be a 308.

If you just want the hottest flashy new thing... That is a whole other problem.

If you said that you wanted a great lightweight hunting rifle and hand load: any light weight modern bolt gun in 280 Ackly improved (280ai) would be my choice. I have a light weight stainless Ruger 77mkII in 280 with the black 'boat paddle' stock that shoots sub 1/2 moa. I love it. I would only tease trading it for a similar rifle in 280ai.

If you don't hand load... Probably the same rifle but in 7mm rem mag as you can probably get ammo any where.

As for scopes... Good old Leopolds have been more than enough for me to hunt with.

But target shooting at distance absorbs and radiates all sorts of expensive preferences.

Last edited:
Back