Best method for deep cleaning the breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildTurkey

Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys have some best practices for cleaning the breech plug for storage after a range session. I am using Black Horn powder with a replacement CVA Black Horn plug. I need to come up with a better way than spraying it down with solvent, giving time to soak in and then wipe down with Q tips and rags.

I soak my plug in windex w/ vinegar while cleaning the rifle - seems to somewhat soften it up a little. Then I clean the flash channel by hand with a drill bit (the BH carbon is super hard) and get the channel opened back up to the original size. That has always worked for me.

The first thing you want to do, is turn a 1/8" drill bit in the flame channel by hand down to the flash hole, to clean out the hard carbon build-up. Then start with the solvents.

It don't seem right, but it generally takes longer to clean the little breech plug than it does the rest of the rifle. Just the nature of the beast!

If you want "clean" consider trying a heated ultrasonic bath with Windex. I would still use the drill bit.

Skymen Professional Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner Bath with Digital Timer 1.3L 60W 40kHz Degas Heating Baskets about $90 on Amazon.

Busta said:
It don't seem right, but it generally takes longer to clean the little breech plug than it does the rest of the rifle. Just the nature of the beast!

Yeah same here. I give my plug a quick once ober with a patch then soak it in an old pill container while I'm cleaning the rest of the rifle. Give it a good shake every once and a while seems to help.

For BH209 I have a small glass jar filled with Hoppes #9. At cleaning time the first thing I do is remove the breech plug, use a drilllnjn he flash channel then wipe down with a solvent saturated shop towel to remove whatever I can.

Then I drop the plug in the jar to soak while I clean the rest of the rifle.

Once Im done everything else I remove the plug and wipe it down with fresh solvent then dry towels. I use q tips and pipe cleaners to clean out the flash channel.

Letting it soak does most of the work for you.

Re: RE: Re: Best method for deep cleaning the breech plug

Tannhauser said:
For BH209 I have a small glass jar filled with Hoppes #9. At cleaning time the first thing I do is remove the breech plug, use a drilllnjn he flash channel then wipe down with a solvent saturated shop towel to remove whatever I can.

Once Im done everything else I remove the plug and wipe it down with fresh solvent then dry towels. I use q tips and pipe cleaners to clean out the flash channel.

Exactly the same way I clean mine.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. I was hoping for a magic bullet but looks like clean, soak, wipe, Q tip clean just is part of the modern muzzy experience. Off to go buy a big bottle Hoppe's #9 and break cleaner.

You'd be surprised how good the windex with vinegar cleans breach plugs.

Yes, most folks would be surprised. Takes me three to four minutes to clean a breech plug using Windex with vinegar.

1. Run a drill bit into the flame channel.

2. Spray the plug well and brush off the crud with a tooth brush.

3. Repeat (2) as needed.

4. Wash the plug with water.

I am a firm believer in the benefits of regular Blue Windex with ammonia. There is only a small amount of ammonia in the solution but it is a very good metal stripper. But for the cleaning the bp - ventliner and any other breech parts I use a cleaner/degreaser

cd6771ce-868a-4875-9d47-44463c746c99_1000.jpg

Works like a champ + after cleaning Teflon tape sticks really well to the clean metal.

I drill the carbon out of the flame channel with a 5/32 bit. Remove my ventliner and wipe it down with Butches Bore Shine then wipe the rest of the plug with Butches. Reinstall ventliner with some copper anti seize and wrap plug with one wrap white teflon tape. Reinstall plug into gun.

Tannhauser said:

I'm pretty much on this page too. I have taken to buying my Hoppes by the quart now since all my guns are 209 fired. I like the Evinrude top cylinder treatment idea though and may try it as I have a jug on the shelf.

I have found that a 30 caliber brass brush works great in cleaning the face chamber on a CVA 209 plug and that a .22 caliber brush does a dandy job on the flash channel at the other end. I have several of the #70 [.028"] drill bits to make vent liners and use on to clean out the flash hole in lieu of a wire. I don't think a plug can be too clean.

What about the "female" threads....inside the breech? I wrap a Hoppes (or other solvent-soaked patch) around a brush and get em as well as I can that way. But it seems like they're never as clean as it could be. Just looking for any other suggestions. Thanks!

I use a 12 gauge copper brush dipped in hoppes #9, the brush is on a section of cleaning rod turning clockwise going in. It works for me. I also have the quart size hoppes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a follow up since I am in the middle of cleaning a Wolverine plunger and breech parts... And you all know how dirty plunger guns can get!

Here is a pic of the breech area after shooting.

Dirty-Breech.jpg

And after soaking for a couple of hours in hot water...

Breech_Parts.jpg

Back