Best method for deep cleaning the breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sabotloader: But how do you clean the internal threads of the breech....inside the gun itself?

magnus said:
Sabotloader: But how do you clean the internal threads of the breech....inside the gun itself?

I get a little lazy here and go to a power tool...

Bore-Thread-Brush.jpg

I will dry clean it first using this setup and with the drill set to turn counter-clock wise. Drilling it dry will remove a lot of the fouling and pull it out on the breech floor.

Then I will repeat the same action only this time I will drop some Birchwood Casey 2-in-1 bore cleaner on the brush to disolve any hard or stubborn carbon depoosits. Here are some pics showing this treeatment.

Breech-plug-Threads.jpg

Breech-brush-treatment.jpg

Breech-treat.jpg

Hope those shows what I thionk you were asking. Yesterday while cleaning the Wolverine I took a bunch of pictures of the homemade tools and devices that I use.... haven't got the pictures separated, organized, and labeled yet

Harbor Freight. Very reasonable in price to clean the barrel's breech plug threads. Its a push and lock, so it won't come off.

Brass, Stainless and Nylon brushes...…

IMG-1395.jpg

Latest posts

Back