Best shooting conicals for deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrnovember

Reaction score
I'm going to start shooting conicals very soon for deer and wanted to get some opinions on what everyone likes...I don't want to go that heavy...I was looking for something around 300 grains..

mrnovember said:
I'm going to start shooting conicals very soon for deer and wanted to get some opinions on what everyone likes...I don't want to go that heavy...I was looking for something around 300 grains..

I've never used a conical on a deer(I have on hogs!) BUT..if I were to use one I'd start at around 350gr and go UP. That new Hornady 350gr FPB looks like a good place to start..

Hmm, only 300 gr? I would go with something in the 460-500 gr range from either bullshop or No Excuses. Or, if you keep the powder charge on the light side, you could go with the 348 gr, 405 gr or 444 gr (my choice) powerbelts. I wouldn't shoot more than about 90 gr of powder with any conical, though. IF you are set on the 300 gr, I would look at the Sabertooth.

First off the kind of rifle you use will dictate the kind of conical that will work best for you. Many times wanting to shoot a 300 grain is all fine and good but the rifle might like a 460 grain accuracy wise much better.

Do not be worried about shooting the heavy hitters. They really do no more damage then the smaller ones. Its all a matter of where you hit and what you connect with. For instance, I was shooting some 426 grain conicals once and about blew a front shoulder off a deer. But I hit that shoulder bone square. A different time shooting a REAL conical I bloodied the shoulder up so bad it was basically worthless... Shot placement will determine the damage. Pop them through the vitals but miss major bone, and that big conical does just fine.

For Whitetail, some of the smaller conicals that shoot well are Sabertooth, Powerbelts, REAL conicals, and Buffalo ballets.. These stop a deer just fine. Shot placement is the key to all of this. Even a little roundball will do the job just fine.

Would be of great help to know what rifle you are shooting.

.45 ? .50cal?

if you want a 300 grain conical but is a little bit pricey is the powerbelt platinum. I've only shot the 270s in a cva bobcat and a cabelas hawken and they shot really darn good groups.

The 295 copper series is also another good bullet to use and you can get them for around $13.99 on gun broker. Used to get good deals on ebay until they bent us over with their BS rules.

There's also the tc maxi ball or maxi hunter. I never had any luck with performance on game with the maxi ball so i don't really feel comfortable shooting that one in the field.

Conicals really arnt offered in a wide variety of weights, only the Powerbelt offers a wide assortment. Every one else has went to sabots.

This was with a 225g AT powerbelt with 80g 3F triple 7 and an 80 yard shot. Put it right down.
100_3476.jpg

The Doe in the back there, was taken at 90 yards with a 295g AT powerbelt and 90g Pyro RS. The buck was round ball.

Round ball is another good choice if you have a sidelock
100_2230.jpg

ok guys, thank you so far but the more info the better..the gun is a 50. cal. omega...its actually my dads gun....and my dad and myself are not dead set on 300 grains either so we can go heavier...just concerned about groupings out alittle past 100 yards...i've heard the bullshop conicals are unbelievable....

I've only shot around 30 Bullshops and they are a very nice shooting bullet. How they perform in an Omega, thats the question. I have a tc omega coming in VERY soon, im praying that it will be in tomorrow but its just getting a little greedy :lol:

You shooting in an Conical only state?

Thats what i figured. Im west of trinidad colorado.

My omega came in and i will be trying some 370g tc maxi balls out of it in the AM. I bought 40 of them and then i have 30 295g powerbelt Aerotips coming in that i will try out.

Hopefully this tc will shoot conicals.

Well here is my best with the 370 maxiballs out of the omega, which is scoped, not to great but it is hunting accuracy for 71 yards. Im going to do 100 yards in a couple of hours.
The orange dot is 1"
Picture489.jpg

Ive, had 2 omegas one with a laminated wood stock and the other with
synthetic, both of mine shot very well with PB AT and the HP, I would shoot the 348 if they group well from your gun, I was shooting 100 grains pyrodex pellets with 295 for deer droped every deer I shot with them except one ran about 80 yards it was a quartering too me shot and the bullet followed the inside of the hide after going thru the meat part of the neck and fragmented in the hind quarter, I tried 245s at first 100 gr was too much the 245 couldint take fragmenetd bad, shoot losse pyrodex, and you can play around and custom your load, like was mentioned with295 Id try 90 grains and see if she will group well mine shot 1.5 groups at 100yds 348s 100 grain PY. I had Atec scopes on them which had 44optic,
got tired of that nad now only shoot sidelocks, good luck, jbuck

Latest posts

Back