Best Way to clean the inside of a Breech Plug/ Keep it clean

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFM

Reaction score
Okay I am wondering if there is a good way to clean the inside of a breech plug? I am using a Knight Disc Elite 50 cal. with 2 50 grain pellets of T7 and a 250 grain T/C Shockwave. Seems the crud seems to get built up on both sides of the breech plug so it might also build up on the inside. Is there a good way to keep the channel thru the breech plug clean? Any good solvent to soak it in or a tool small enough that will work to get any built up out of it so it lets the best spark through to the powder?

Just wondering I was sighting my ML in and cleaning it getting it ready for my area Muzzleloading Season which opens Friday the 14 of December.

Would Isopropyl Alcohol be okay to soak it in and blow it out with an air compressor hoping to get anything out of that channel?

Just looking for what would be good to get it and keep it clean?

Thanks,
Mike/LFM

I soak my plugs in a solution called "624" that is made by a local chemical company. It seems particularly good at loosening deposits but I'm sure there are many other products and home concoctions that would work neary or as well. Hot soapy water should also work, for example.

When I remove the plug from the solution, I use a rag and toothbrush to clean all the exterior surfaces and a dampened pipe cleaner to swab the interior until the pipe cleaner comes back out white (usually 3 or 4 in-out strokes dipping the pipe cleaner in solution each time).

The plug would then be visibly clean. I hit it with the air compressor, then run some alcohol through the plug and hit again with air until dry.

That's my procedure and it works very well for me.

I read somewhere that if you put a dry patch on a rod, push it in, then fire a few primers before you use it, it cleans it out.

I'm sure someone will come along and confirm or deny this for me, though.

I only been out shooting mine once so far. I cleaned it with gun scrubber, q-tips, pipe cleaners, and a nipple pick. I highly suggest getting a nipple pick from where ever you buy your stuff. I'm going to try a few of the recommended soaking solutions in the future mentioned on the board.

Thanks for the good info. I did try just shooting a 209 primer but it seems to put some stuff inside. I clean it and then did that and read about soaking it and I did there was a lot of black stuff in the alcohol after only a few mineutes I then blow it out and shot 2 more 209 primers and seems that puts a little of the black stuff back in because I soak it right after.

Thanks for the information just want to be ready for this Friday's hunt.

LFM

Just don't forget to use teflon tape and/or a good grease on the plug after you get it spotless. :D

i have tried all these methods. they all work, but i have found there is no easy way it takes me just as long to clean the plug as it does to clean the rest of the gun. i usually let it soak while i am cleaning the rest of the gun. then pick at the inside with and small allen wrench and a pin,the outside with a toothbrush, then blast it with gun scrubber, then pipe cleaners and the pin again, then alchohol, dry it, small shot of rem oil inside, slick 50 on the threads, and finally done.

i have to admit when i first got my omega (before i found this site) i wasn't aware that i had to clean the flash channel. i went almost an entire year of shooting without touching the inside. dumb, i know rookie mistake! but never had a misfire of any kind. by the time i realized i had to clean in there you could barely get a pin threw the middle, but it still shot.

Thanks guys appreciate all the info. I forgot to mention I use the Knight Breech Plug Grease that comes in a small tube. Would hate to get the plug in and not get it out...

Seems that some Sporting Goods Retailers are offering all kinds of stuff to soak gun parts in as well as Rust Preventers these days... Was looking for some orderless gun oil have some but starting to run low will check some other places for it though...

Thanks guys appreciate the help!!!

LFM

Here's how I've been cleaning mine. I'm not sure if it helps.

I bought a bottle of the black powder cleaner/dissolver. I pour a little into a cup, just enough to cover the breach plug. I disassemble the gun, then put the breach plug in the cup. I clean the rest of the gun, and several times during that I swish the plug around or take it out and give it a quick brush. When the rest of the gun is clean, I take the plug and scrub it. Then I run a q-tip through the plug and a pipe cleaner through the little hole. If there are tiny spots of caked on powder (usually there aren't) then I use plastic cleaning picks to scrape it off.

It's usually shiny by then, and doesn't take much work.

breechplug

Put about one ounce of simple green all purpose cleaner in a empty plastic water bottle add about three ounces of water,put cap back on and shake the hell out of it . This will clean inside and outside of breechplug. You can also use windex, but simple green works great.

Re: breechplug

herb said:
put cap back on and shake the hell out of it.

:lol: this must be the technical term found in most owners manuals! good idea i'll try that way the next round.

plug clean

used the iso alcohol, windex,HY peroxide mix the boys here use and it was great. Couldn't remember the mix rate so I did equal parts. Worked great and cheap to make, wife happy no trips to the Sp goods store, gun happy it cleaned and oiled. I am going to start usng that shake like hell method, only I will use that w/ martini!

Back