Best way to complete a .45 Knight LRH?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gun-drill

Reaction score
New to the forum here, I'm more of a CF / milsurp guy but I seem to have been bitten by a ML bug lately.

A few seasons back I picked up a "used" LRH that is about 95% with only a couple scratches on the straight stock. When I made the purchase it included a .45 cal barrel that appears unfired. Both the LRH and .45 cal barrel have been boxed up since I bought them. Anyway, the .45 is a 1/18, blued, bull barrel ser# 21 but it is just the barrel. I have thought about trying to find the components to complete it or just canibilize the parts off the other LRH. If I were to buy a wood stock, would a Mountaineer stock work ok? Just no slot for the rear "action screw", right? Or would I be be better off waiting for a used rifle to pop up and buy it? I figure $200 for stock, close to that for a bolt, and I would still need a trigger. Or would you just swap parts back and forth.

I think the LRH will prob just be a range gun, little to heavy for the woods. I have a couple of mk85's that have served me well for about 25 years. But like I said I have been bitten and am considering a knight UL or maybe even one of the new Cooper's.

4gun-drill said:
New to the forum here, I'm more of a CF / milsurp guy but I seem to have been bitten by a ML bug lately.

A few seasons back I picked up a "used" LRH that is about 95% with only a couple scratches on the straight stock. When I made the purchase it included a .45 cal barrel that appears unfired. Both the LRH and .45 cal barrel have been boxed up since I bought them. Anyway, the .45 is a 1/18, blued, bull barrel ser# 21 but it is just the barrel.

That is quite an item to have the barreled action 1/18 are very few and far between.

I have thought about trying to find the components to complete it or just canibilize the parts off the other LRH. If I were to buy a wood stock, would a Mountaineer stock work ok? Just no slot for the rear "action screw", right?

Does the 1/18 work in the LRH stock? if it fits in it especially the barrel channel then by all rights it should drop in a Mnt. stock. My hesitation is with the bull barrel will it fit in the barrel channel of a regular stock?

The action retaining screw and assembly will not work in the Mnt. stock with out some inletting.

would I be be better off waiting for a used rifle to pop up and buy it? I figure $200 for stock, close to that for a bolt, and I would still need a trigger. Or would you just swap parts back and forth.

The parts should just swap back and fourth and you could do that and start acquiring parts as you go or find them.

I think the LRH will prob just be a range gun, little to heavy for the woods. I have a couple of mk85's that have served me well for about 25 years. But like I said I have been bitten and am considering a knight UL or maybe even one of the new Cooper's.

The stock and the weight of the LRH have always prevented me from acquiring one. Either of those two choices would be outstanding rifles... I have a couple of ULites that I really do like. The Cooper I would love to handle and it is a custom rifle and will have some better qualities than does the ULite.

You could build quite a gun around that barrel IMHO. It would be a great lead conical shooter I bet.

It's funny too because the .45 was just included with the rifle and I really don't have any money in it at this point. I tried researching it at that time and from what I read everyone was looking for 1/20, so I just boxed it up and put it away. I didn't know what I didn't know.

The OD of the .45 seems about the same as the .50, except the .45 is 1" longer at 28" and is not fluted. I consider the profile to be a "bull" but I am not sure if they made one with a larger OD. I have dropped it into the stock with no issues and it actually balances out quite well.

I missed the Black Friday sale that knight had, so I am hoping they have another sale soon and I will pick up an UL. The Cooper's look like great rifles. I have never owned one but several friends have squirrel guns built by them and are top notch. I saw one for sale on an auction site but it had the blued barrel and I would prefer stainless.

I am excited to tinker with the .45 and experiment with sabotless. Guess I will start saving for a swing lock too!

My friend has a Barrel also serial 23. only few were built and they were issued to the Match teams at Nationals in Friendship. 52 bore has the whole rifle last ones made that way and yes they are 1-18 twist green mountain barrels. you bring it to Friendship in Spring no problem selling it. Yes it is made for heavy conicals. It is good 500 yd barrel.

Latest posts

Back