BH 209 "Leave Gun Loaded" Question?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davexx1

Reaction score
For the last 30 years or so that I have been hunting with blackpowder muzz gun, I meticuously clean then dry the gun, load the gun the night before opening day (real blackpowder), and I leave the gun loaded for the duration of our (Florida) now nine day muzz deer season or until I get a shot. I leave the gun in my truck overnight never have the AC or heat on, change the primer cap before every am/pm hunt, and do clean out and reload the gun if I get caught in a rain or have any reason to doubt moisture may have entered the barrel.

I have never had a misfire. I have even left it loaded until the next year and it always fires perfectly.

My question is; can you load a muzz gun with the BH 209 powder and leave it loaded for extended periods, such as I have done in the past, without fear of misfire, moisture contamination, etc.?

Thanks, Dave

Davexx1 said:
My question is; can you load a muzz gun with the BH 209 powder and leave it loaded for extended periods, such as I have done in the past, without fear of misfire, moisture contamination, etc.?

Thanks, Dave

We haven't had the powder long enough to answer that question. I wouldn't be afraid to leave it loaded if i had to.

I plan on leaving mine loaded until the trigger is pulled on meat... :wink:

To give a really good answer to that question will only be possable after BH209 has been in use for a couple years. So far it has done everything Weatern claimed it would do and they claim the best storage life of all subs [I notice they did not say any thing about real black powder ] they also claim its not hydroscopic so it should not be affected by moisture.
Since all their claims have been true up to this point I am willing to believe them. Lee

I agree with Lee 9. Blackhorn 209 is not supposed to be hydroscopic so it should not suck in moisture; therefore, it should be okay to leave it loaded for extended periods (in theory anyway :D ). But I guess time and experience will tell us a better answer someday.

I'm certainly going to leave mine loading for the duration of the HUNT or until I pull the trigger...whichever comes first!

I'll leave mine loaded during the season unless I just feel I must shoot it! And if I get that feeling, I'll shoot it. :wink:

I use finger cots (condoms for fingers available at Walmart) placed over the muzzle when not in use and even loaded. They keep air exchange out of the barrel both in the field and not. You can shoot right through them with no effect as the air in front of the bullet blows then out
I also leave a spent primer in the breech plug to seal the breech.
I PAINT THE SPENT PRIMER WITH RED NAIL POLISH TO MAKE SURE I KNOW IT IS SPENT.
I find that this keeps everything dry except the exterior surfaces which I wipe down if entering a warm room. Try placing the firearm over a hot air heating vent to dry

Earlier this evening I received an email back from Don at Western Powders (BH 209) and he said leaving the muzz gun loaded with BH 209 should not be a problem.

I think this is completely dependant upon not allowing any moisture to enter the gun, not allowing the gun to experience rapid temps changes where condensation could form inside the barrel, using a fresh primer, etc.

Dave1

I fouled my barrel the first day and left it loaded for 6 days. I took a shot at a cow six days later and finally cleaned the gun 8 days after the fouling shot. When I pulled the copper FPB out of the barrel, it showed a little dis-coloring, but the barrel cleaned up just fine. I'll do it the same way next year, but I personally would not recommend waiting unit next season to clean the gun even if no fouling shot was fired.

Latest posts

Back