BH-209 Power Weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
So I have finally made it out of all of my old BH-209 and I am moving to my newer stuff. Lot #22 when thrown from a volume measure set to 120 gr. to a powder scale it is now weighing +/- 90 grains. Previously with lot # 7 & #8 - in the same volume measure it was weighing right at 84 gain.

Does the 90 grain weight with of lot #22 seem correct?

Thanks for the help.

That is probably correct. My Lot # 26 was 92 grains by weight vs 120 grains by Volume

I'd measure out ten 100 grain by volume charges, then then weigh each one. Add the total weights up and divide by ten to get an average for the weight. Now if the average weight of the 100 grain by volume charges is, say 79.9 grains and you're weighing charges equivilent to 110 grains by volume the weight would be, rounded up, 88 grains.

Thanks for the information - follows along with what I am finding. When you compare the two powders lot #22 is more course than #7 & 8. The kernals are larger.
You hit the nail right on the head. Larger particle size won't pack as tightly as smaller particle size. The answer would be velocity testing of different particle sizes measured by weight that would show different volume amounts. I would bet that weighing different lots showing different volumes amounts would show consistent velocities. As they say a pound of feathers is a pound of feathers regardless of the size of the feathers.

Latest posts

Back