BH209 in CVA Optima Elite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLKeith

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Blackhorn 209 in a CVA Optima Elite? I just found a second hand one in camo finish, stainless with the .270 barrel as well as the .50 muzzleloader and it looks unshot. I already set it aside with the $100 I had in my pocket so it will be mine in a couple of days (about $200 below retail). Never was impressed with Spanish stuff but this new breed seems to be quite well made. The new barrel manufacturer is quite well known for quality stuff. It helps that I am a .270 fan also. I have some BH209 and when the weather cools down a little I will try to get out and try it. Just looking for information before that.

Yes BH209 will work. CVA pretty much uses the same breech plug design on all their models. Only difference is the BP thats optional for #11 that has the huge hollowed out center.

frontier gander said:
Yes BH209 will work. CVA pretty much uses the same breech plug design on all their models. Only difference is the BP thats optional for #11 that has the huge hollowed out center.

Thanks for the information. You may have noticed that I said on an earlier post (Quoting you) that I do not own any Spanish rifles. I guess I have to take that back now. I don't have it yet but it is on lay away and I will pick up this week. Optima Elite sure is a quality looking piece. I am not sure it is on the same level of the T/C Encore but it sure is well made for the price. Actually the Encore has not ever really caught my eye. This Elite feels right for me and at that price I just could not pass it up. I noticed that the breechplug is one of the convex style (similar to my Knight KRB7 which does not work well with BH209). I think a lot of the difference is that the Elite plug is a lot shorter with a deeper flash channel. I was pretty sure that it would work but am glad to hear that you think it will.

Sounds like a Winner. Where did you find it at such a low cost? Maybe now i can see how one of these Elites does with a conical.

I found it on the used rack in a local shop. It was sitting there with the .270 barrel on it with a note attached that said "inc. .50ml bbl.". I checked out and both barrels look unshot. It is the synthetic camo stock and stainless fluted barrels. Action looks like stainless also. I paid $349 out the door. Both barrels have their own camo forearm. Hopefully it will cool down enough soon that I can get out and shoot it. I do have some conicals to try but have to slug the barrel first to see if what I have will work. Much of the stuff is for Whites and may be too big. Not sure what diameter the Elite barrels from Bergarra are. Shilen/Bergarra barrels should shoot great.

Latest posts

Back