BH209 in stock for $49.99

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re making your own Blackhorn!!?? Awesome!
All jokes aside, the MSDS states that it's basically smokeless powder with a filler. I can't imagine it would be hard to make. Probably pretty cheap too, I imagine it's more filler than powder.

Testing it to find the "recipe" on the other hand, would be very difficult without actual ballistic pressure test equipment. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting smokeless "blend" in a non smokeless ML, without knowing the exact pressure in the barrel it produces.

All jokes aside, the MSDS states that it's basically smokeless powder with a filler. I can't imagine it would be hard to make. Probably pretty cheap too, I imagine it's more filler than powder.

Testing it to find the "recipe" on the other hand, would be very difficult without actual ballistic pressure test equipment. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting smokeless "blend" in a non smokeless ML, without knowing the exact pressure in the barrel it produces.
I was just reading about BH209 in retired ballistics engineer Jeff Siewert’s great new book.

He describes it as a “nitrated ester/oxidizer” - “an organic molecule capable of muzzle energies comparable to the other non-black powder substitutes at somewhat lower powder charges, without the solid particulate residue.” He adds that the US DOT and Canadian CERL classify smokeless powders as “powder, smokeless UN016” and BH209 as “propellant, solid UN0499” (the same classification as all the other bp subs.) For what it’s worth….

Last edited:
Have any of you ever used the old Black Mag3 powder? I loved it. I think it was the best substitute ever made. Better than BH209. I wish they still made it. Wish they’d bring it back.

Natchez SS has BH209 in stock for $15 cheaper than BassPro or Cabelas.

I just placed an order for 5 jugs and wondering why they charged me sales tax on Shipping/Handling and Hazmat fees? Anyone ever seen this before? I mean it’s only $2.50 but I’ve onlyever paid sales tax on a product and never for a service, labor or shipping fees….

https://www.natchezss.com/accurate-blackhorn-209-muzzleloader-powder-10-oz.html
Bass Pro in Cincinnati it's $79.95 per 8 oz.

I have been looking around the best price I have found was 56 dollars at Walmart but none to be found. --- I have been shooting my subs in this order of best for me to least
SWBP-- No Crud ring and easy clean up less smoke then the others -- Little slower than T7
T7 3fg -- Can be found almost anywhere,
Pyrodex RS and P Good just dont shoot it much because I have several pounds of the other. My revolvers lIke the P formulation.

Search the threads and I think you will see that there is no way for a private citizen to send these items to another. Basically it appears to come down to everyone handling the items need to have permits, training and "authorization" as a business to send.
As I am opening a store and have all Licenses except FFL and SOT (on there way soon), I was told that in order to ship hazmat you must have a license. Now I was told I could NOT ship without an FFL (just for Hazmat)! Fed Ex isn't taking anymore clients (for hasmat or fire arms), but UPS will "With an FFL". I asked if I had a #3 FFL and was told That would work as long as its an FFL.
I just talked to them again and it was confirmed.
So if you have it and want to ship it, it would be on you if you don't have an FFL and it catches fire you would be better off selling Straw Purchases when they get done with you.
So do what you have to do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back