BH209 in stock for $49.99

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as most of you are willing to pay $1.25 or more per shot for powder, the price will stay high. BH 209 is convenient, and adds a little velocity, but it is not worth that kind of price. I'm shooting Black MZ for about $0.16 per shot for powder. Most hunters are hunting close range and don't benefit much from the added velocity, and don't need the expensive bullets.

Muzzleloading used to be an inexpensive sport, and the money manufacturers are raking in has made for better bullets and powders, but $2 bullets and $1.25 powder charges are too rich for an old retired miser like me.

Muzzleloading Hunting use to be a close-range hunting sport. Now, people are trying to get their ML's to shoot 200 Plus yards like a centerfire rifle. That's one reason why I believe ML is starting to become very expensive as everybody wants to convert their ML to a center-fire rifle. Just my2 cents for what it's worth.

As long as most of you are willing to pay $1.25 or more per shot for powder, the price will stay high. BH 209 is convenient, and adds a little velocity, but it is not worth that kind of price. I'm shooting Black MZ for about $0.16 per shot for powder. Most hunters are hunting close range and don't benefit much from the added velocity, and don't need the expensive bullets.

Muzzleloading used to be an inexpensive sport, and the money manufacturers are raking in has made for better bullets and powders, but $2 bullets and $1.25 powder charges are too rich for an old retired miser like me.
I understand Black MZ has been discontinued for some time

This is the replacement,
i've used Black MZ almost exclusively since it came out. No need to swab between shots and it cleans up easily. Black MZ has worked very well for me.

Black MZ is no longer available. But here is a new powder manufactured by the same company, APP. It's called Shooters World.

Shooters World Multi-Purpose Black FFF Sulfurless Powder 1 Pound - Graf & Sons (grafs.com)

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....ute-1-lb-by-lovex#:~:text=This Black Powder%2

Muzzleloading Hunting use to be a close-range hunting sport. Now, people are trying to get their ML's to shoot 200 Plus yards like a centerfire rifle. That's one reason why I believe ML is starting to become very expensive as everybody wants to convert their ML to a center-fire rifle. Just my2 cents for what it's worth.
Won't be long and you will be paying same for pure black with only supplier being in Europe

Fully support your choice and see your reasoning. I'm glad you are happy in doing things your way (so long as they are safe, you won't hear bad word from me).

I think its worthy to note: The powder is already out of stock... so I guess a bunch of folks chose that its advantages out weigh the price. Have you seen the price of ammo lately??? there is a trend... most of us call it inflation. Whatever your perspective, we have to acknowledge the changing policies, meddling, and the record level of printing of $ and calling it a loan of late are having economic impacts. I'd bet they will be lasting and endure.

I myself, find that I want one reliable effective load for all situations... short range in the woods, to reaching out across pastures/fields. If I can do that with my inline muzzle loader why shouldn't I? I also want simple clean up just like my rifles and shotguns... no second box of cleaning stuff to maintain. And less smoke so that I see the animal's departure or falling over DRT is good too.

I get all that with Blackhorn 209,, and that is my choice.

If you want to blame someone for BH cost, look directly at Hodgdon. They control the spigot. Keep the spigot turned down low and it will drive the price up while the company will use less raw materials/labor/utilities. Make less product, make more money and when your customers ***** , blame supply chain issues.

I posted it that when Hodgdon bought Western Powders that people were not going to like it. Until Hodgdon has a real competition for BH, they control the market, get used to the price.

Hodgdon needs to make money. The first distributor needs to make money along with any other distributors involved. Lastly the retailer needs to make money. Then as already mentioned, inflation is insane and going to get much worse.

My source for T7M sold it to me for $10 a box while buying a case while retailers were selling it for 2x+.

Fully support your choice and see your reasoning. I'm glad you are happy in doing things your way (so long as they are safe, you won't hear bad word from me).

I think its worthy to note: The powder is already out of stock... so I guess a bunch of folks chose that its advantages out weigh the price. Have you seen the price of ammo lately??? there is a trend... most of us call it inflation. Whatever your perspective, we have to acknowledge the changing policies, meddling, and the record level of printing of $ and calling it a loan of late are having economic impacts. I'd bet they will be lasting and endure.

I myself, find that I want one reliable effective load for all situations... short range in the woods, to reaching out across pastures/fields. If I can do that with my inline muzzle loader why shouldn't I? I also want simple clean up just like my rifles and shotguns... no second box of cleaning stuff to maintain. And less smoke so that I see the animal's departure or falling over DRT is good too.

I get all that with Blackhorn 209,, and that is my choice.
Sorry if only part of my reply came out earlier, tried from my Iphone but it wasn't doing well. I've been shooting BP for at least 30 years and would rather shoot BH209 than any other powder. I shot a 6X6 bull elk a month ago and with the Barnes TEZ 290 grain bullet, it was THE most humane and dependable combination a hunter would like. Yes, I followed up with another shot even though the elk never took another step after the first shot, but he was still standing after 30 seconds so a follow-up shot was sent. Bull elk are tough and I just wanted the "job" done. Loading the second round was pretty much effortless with the BH209.
My buddy of 50 years loved using pellets and Barnes TMZ boat tail bullet combination because it was "faster" when he sighted-in at the range. Not sure why he was swabbing the barrel between shots because at least for me, time is precious while under hunting conditions, but oh well. He missed his first shot at a nice bull and tried to reload with only a once fired barrel . Maybe his barrel was a "tight" one but he ended up banging the ramrod against a tree trying to push the bullet onto the powder because the bullet just wouldn't seat but to no avail. When he got back to camp, he pulled the breach plug and unloaded. He ended up selling his rig.
I have cans of 777, Pyrodex and God knows what but they are all in the back of the cabinet now. I've got 5 bottles left of BH209 , at at 70 years old, will last me for the rest of my life. It's easy to use and easy to clean up after shooting.
I guess what powder someone uses is purely subjective. Sorta like Fords vs Chevys vs Rams whatever. I use what gives me confidence.

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 40
  • elk3.jpg
    elk3.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 37
That's a dandy animal Ray. Congrats. As for the BH209, I am entirely in your camp for hunting with the BH209 powder, but I enjoy just shooting and will use t7 while at the range. I do "proof" the gun and load prior to hunting using the BH209 powder. Not much difference in accuracy or velocity between the identical powder charges in my guns between these two powders but while one affords me value, the other affords me dependability.

After reading this, I did a price check at one local shop. BH209 $45 and 777 $36. That is about the same price differential as always. No anger, no blame. EVERYTHING else in the shop is up. ALL AMMO is up. As far as I am concerned, one less customer for 209 is a good thing. it is a premium product and not for everyone. Really, who cares at this point?

There are some panic driven crazy excesses, like primers continue to sell at double current retail and 3x pre-crazy prices. I was paying $35 for BH209 pre crazy. Now $45. This is very reasonable or right inline compared to food and fuel.

I haven't needed to buy any BH209 recently and I don't think I will be needing to any time in the next couple years. I've seen some on shelves locally at gun shops [within 100 miles of home] and if I feel like I need more I'll just go get some. Primers are a non-issue with me. The $45.00 fourbore mentions for the BH209 is about what I have seen.

I’m set for life. Most were bought for under $11 each and the most I spent was $36. I know I have a problem but once I find what I like and works I tend to set myself up to where I don’t have to worry about it. Especially when it comes to hunting. B4CDF7F9-C977-4309-BFDF-FC6D025D9884.jpeg

I’m set for life. Most were bought for under $11 each and the most I spent was $36. I know I have a problem but once I find what I like and works I tend to set myself up to where I don’t have to worry about it. Especially when it comes to hunting. View attachment 18354
I’m usually the same way but my local wallyworld never has it sitting on the shelf. My buddy used to get them all the time for $11 after season, a few towns over but I’ve never been that lucky. The cheapest I ever got it was when Carlos (Ed’s gun shop) was selling and I think I got some for 28-32.50
I went smokeless and gave like 8jugs to a lifetime friend and have recently decided to go back to a regular in-line and was having a hell of a time finding it.

Latest posts

Back