BH209 Static Cling

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdporter

Reaction score
Does anyone else have trouble with BH209 and static cling?
I wipe down my funnel and charge holders with a dryer sheet, inside and out, and that works initially, but after a couple of days, it’s back. It also seems like I have an entire load left in the bottle, when it’s empty, that is clinging to the sides. None of the other MZ propellants I use seem to do that.

After a few uses my holders, funnel, and powder measure hopper, all stopped doing that. I never used the dryer sheets. But once in a great while i will get a little bit of powder sticking at the bottom of a charge holder tube. A couple taps or flicks knocks it loose tho.

I read somewhere you could dilute some fabric softener in water and give the tubes a rinse then air dry and that was supposed to help a lot. Never tried it so can't say for sure.

That sounds like it might work. It’s pretty frustrating to have to sit and tap the heck out of a charge tube to get all the powder in the barrel.

I see it happening in all of my plastic tubes. Will it also happen if I use a brass tube?

I have a mess of Lane's that I keep loaded with 63 and 77 weighed grains and have green caps for the 63 and white for the 77 grain loads. I have another bunch of another tube very similar to Lanes that I carry my field loads in with the cap tops indicating the charge weight. All of these got the dryer sheet treatment but it doesn't seem to last real long if a guy is shooting a lots and re-filling often. I tossed all of the load tubes and caps in a loose fitting, well vented laundry sack and tossed it in the dryer with four sheets on a medium low heat for ten minutes. I re-filled the tubes maybe 8 times now without static cling. Didn't hurt the tubes or caps at all.

I’ve been shooting BH209 and using Lane’s tubes for years and haven‘t had d that problem. Maybe some kind of climate issue?

Possibly a humidity issue. We are dry as bone usually.

My Tubes did the same thing when they were New. I see @rporter Suggested Graphite, I agree with him 100% as this is Precisely what i did LONG ago with mine. Rub some powdered Graphite around Good in the Tubes, This Coats and makes a Really slick surface, I have never had to Re-treat mine. It works :lewis:

Does anyone else have trouble with BH209 and static cling?
I wipe down my funnel and charge holders with a dryer sheet, inside and out, and that works initially, but after a couple of days, it’s back. It also seems like I have an entire load left in the bottle, when it’s empty, that is clinging to the sides. None of the other MZ propellants I use seem to do that.
Mine did it too...I put some Rain-ex in one, shook it up, and then transfered it from tube to tube till all 10 of my tubes were coated. I shook each one out as much as I could and let them dry. No
more problem.

Latest posts

Back