Bighorn range report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredB

Reaction score
My new-to-me, $230 Knight Bighorn had a couple little rough spots in the barrel, about where the bullet and charge would go, so I wasn't sure what kind of accuracy to expect. I needn't have worried. The first group, (right), was 50yds, 75gr RS (by volume), felt wad, under a 420gr No Excuse. The 2 1/4" group was not confidence inspiring. Adjusting windage, and increasing to 80gr RS gave me the cute little clover leaf group, left. I'm calling it 9/16". I can hunt with that.
Lessons learned: 1. Rough spots in the barrel may not be a deal breaker. 2. Five grains of powder can make a world of difference. Further confirmation that it's worth it to measure powder, rather that use pellets. Bighorn 50yd 80gr RS wad 420gr NE.jpg

I have a Knight Bighorn with the tags still on it in the box. Makes me think about getting it out. Trouble is I bought a Knight Elite in auction and it hits everything I shoot at. Nice problem to have.

I will have to try that load in my LK93 and MK85. Thanks for sharing. Scope or open sights?
John
Factory fiber-optic irons. Waiting on a NECG peep. I'm in Idaho, so no scopes on ml, unless it's 1x, with a note from the Dr. Tried that route once, and the parallax was so bad, I went back to a peep.

I have a Knight Bighorn with the tags still on it in the box. Makes me think about getting it out. Trouble is I bought a Knight Elite in auction and it hits everything I shoot at. Nice problem to have.
I was going to save up for a Knight bolt action, but made the minimum bid at auction, and quite unexpectedly won the Bighorn. Ooops. Best mistake I can remember making.

FredB said: "Factory fiber-optic irons."

That is some good shooting with those sights! My eyes are getting old (65) and astigmatism is killing me. Glasses help a lot but then i can't focus on the front sight. Scopes clear it right up.

Back