Black Diamond XR Super .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Under the most unexpected circumstances, I just became the HAPPY owner of a stainless/synthetic .45 Super. The rifle is new, as in never fired display model. The forend sleeve states it has a 1-20 twist. I've read enough about 45's with that twist to make me slightly nervous. I don't shoot heavy charges and big lead has limited appeal to me. Still, she's a fine rifle and actually an interesting companion to my blued/walnut .50 caliber XR.
I seem to sense from what I've been reading, that the issue with the 1-20 twist is the shorter bullets are over-stabilized at higher velocities. Perhaps this is comparable to 110 grain bullets in a 30-06 with a 1-10 twist. That is almost exactly twice the required rate for that bullet, and as velocity falls off they generally give improved accuracy. Its like a child's top that's been spun too fast and wobbles. As the spin slows , it stabilizes. I've read of match rifles giving better accuracy at 200 yards than 100 and its due to over stabilization.
As I have yet to shoot this one, I'm wondering if I keep the velocities reasonable(<1700 fps with a 180 gr .40 caliber) do I have a reasonable chance of success? This is my first stainless gun and my first 45. I'm hoping things work out fine. Any help appreciated!

My 45cal Whites with a 1-20" twist shoots great with 65-70gr of 777-3F with my 350gr connical and they seem to like depending on the rifle 70-75 for the 465gr conicals. I would guess muzzle velocity is between 1200-1300FPS.

The 1-20 should not be feared. It will shoot modern bullets just as well as longer heavier designs. The problem early on in the 1-20's life wass the sabot design but today's newer polymer sabots allow the gun to shoot just fine. You will of course have to determine what bullets & sabots your gun likes. My last 1-20 loved Hornady 40/200 SST's as well as Barnes TEZ 250 in sabotless configuration.

Now as Ed pointed out, with heavy lead reduced charges are the way to go.

You have a great gun that should be fun as well as accurate. Go burn some powder!!

Greg

Fast twist 45s are by far my favorite. Way back when they first came out all the companies were hyping the 3 pellet and a 155gr bullet load. They claimed it matched a 7mm-08 in muzzle velocity. It did not take long until there were many unhappy buyers. You should be fine with 180gr bullets and above. 200gr SSTs and XTPs shoot very good in fast twist 45s even over 2200fps. The Barnes 195gr also can shoot very good.

Thank you all! Gonna shoot her tomorrow and I'm very hopeful! I now have 2 fine rifles that can do anything I'm ever likely to need from a muzzleloader. Now, if I can just find a walnut stock and proper trigger guard for the 45... I've had my share of inlines of different types and makes and I believe the Black Diamonds are by far the cream of the crop. Am happy happy happy. Range report to follow.

Look at Ed's 350gr HP conical review by Ron. That bullet might be dynamite with a mild load in the 1-20. NoExcuses offers a .451 in 385gr also if you want to avoid really big lead.

Range report. She's quite accurate! I tried some mild loads, going with my theory that the 40 cal xtp's are over grossly stabilized in the 1-20 twist. 180 gr xtp in the supplied green ( MMP?) sabots over 60gr of 3f Swiss black gave 3 rounders hovering in the 1 inch to 1 5/16 inch range at 50 yards ( issue open sights). Same bullet in Hornady tan sabots, loaded a bit harder, went from 9/16 to 1 5/16 with 50 gr of 3f Swiss. 275 gr Power Belt aero tips and 60 of 3f Swiss stayed right around an inch . I was impressed and the power belts give me hope that the QLA is good and she may shoot lead well. This is my first 45 and my first stainless steel gun. There's no doubt that a stainless gun is clean. EVERYTHING shows up. The other day I had a wad take out the display screen on my Chrony... so I'm not sure of the velocities, but I'm guessing about 1400 for the PowerBelt and 1700 for the 180/60 and 1600 for the 180/50. I'm judging this off the info in the manual that gave 2 30 gr Pyrodex pellets 1785 fps with a 180 grainer. I expect some improvement as this brand new barrel breaks in. And I get some proper sights on board.
All in all, my little 45 is off to a very encouraging start. I like having 2 XR's!

Latest posts

Back