50 Cal vs 45 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i certianly don't know enough to offer a suggestion , but i'll ask a question .
are there any 50 cals that are smokeless capable out of the box ? i know at least one 45 is smokeless capable out of the box and i'm sure there are others . smokeless capability seems to add a lot to the strength of the barrel even if not using smokeless , and if using smokeless the potiential for a few extra thousand FPS over black powder/subs could make a big difference to some folks .....

i certianly don't know enough to offer a suggestion , but i'll ask a question .
are there any 50 cals that are smokeless capable out of the box ? i know at least one 45 is smokeless capable out of the box and i'm sure there are others . smokeless capability seems to add a lot to the strength of the barrel even if not using smokeless , and if using smokeless the potiential for a few extra thousand FPS over black powder/subs could make a big difference to some folks .....
The smokeless-capable Savage 10ML and 10ML-2 were produced in .50. Great rifles - I’ve got three of them.

Last edited:
Well I have five .50s and four .45s. All the 50s are 1:28 and two of my 45s are 1:20 and two others 1:48. All shoot well with their respective bullet. Its just a matter of choice what you're hunting and what you want to shoot out of them.
Like a couple have said, the .45 has no advantage over the .50. The .50 can shoot any bullet the .45 can with the correct sabot in addition to bigger dia 45 bullets (.458" with correct sabot) plus it can shoot big heavy conicals that can knock the snot out of just about anything that walks.
My recommendation to someone who can only have one muzzleloader is to get a .50. Not only is it versatile but you can get various projectiles for it just about anywhere.

Latest posts

Back