Black powder Gun Adapters....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave19113

Reaction score
I just ordered this gun adapter for a single shot HR 12 gauge that I use as a "do all" single shot. I have a few different adapters for multi calibers but didnt get to use the black powder adapter.

I just picked up 25# of No 6 shot and I already have T7 powder.

http://www.gunadapters.com/12-gauge-to- ... adapter-1/

Has anyone used the adapter?

Interesting, I didn't know that there was something like that . Can't wait to hear a report on it.

Just make sure if you have a Fail To Fire, keep it pointed down range for at least a couple minutes. DO NOT break it open with the either end pointed at any part of your body, because that push in breech plug can also be a projectile in the case of a hang-fire. Sometimes in a FTF condition, just opening the breech can change the pressure, and it can be just enough to ignite the charge. Just be AWARE, it can kill at both ends.

I look at that plug as a survival or SHTF type of thing. H&R used to make push-in breech plugs for the 70's era Huntsman muzzleloaders, right up until a TC employee was killed by one after opening the breech in a hang-fire condition. Just be careful, and informed of the danger!

Busta said:
Just make sure if you have a Fail To Fire, keep it pointed down range for at least a couple minutes. DO NOT break it open with the either end pointed at any part of your body, because that push in breech plug can also be a projectile in the case of a hang-fire. Sometimes in a FTF condition, just opening the breech can change the pressure, and it can be just enough to ignite the charge. Just be AWARE, it can kill at both ends.

I look at that plug as a survival or SHTF type of thing. H&R used to make push-in breech plugs for the 70's era Huntsman muzzleloaders, right up until a TC employee was killed by one after opening the breech in a hang-fire condition. Just be careful, and informed of the danger!

Much thanks... I will definitely keep an eye out for it. Yea thats really what I bought it for; a 1 gun do it all in a pinch

I saw one of these the other day and snapped a pic. I meant to post it here to ask if it was, indeed, this very same thing that would convert a single shot to a ML. I guess this answers that question.

Range Report ..............................

Was able to get out today and give the ML Gun adapter a whirl in between shooting my Mountaineer.

I started with 70 gr by volume of T7 with 70 gr of #6 shot and wax paper in between the shot and powder charge then more wax on top of the shot . Lit it off with a win 209 primer.

I fired 2 shots with that load and 2 shots with 75gr of each. All shots went off without a problem. The shot pattern does open up pretty quick. Im shooting it out of an 18" cylinder bore HR 12 gauge.

I think it would definitely do the job on small game withing reasonable distance.

I still need to work on shooting some patterns on paper to see officially but Im guestimating 15-20 yards is gonna be about it for #6 shot.

Tannhauser said:
How is the cleanup afterwords?

The adapter cleans up in like 5 minutes.... I just spray it with simple green and wipe. The flash hole is really big compared to a ML plug so I just blow it out

james 14 said:
I'd love one of these for a 45-70 single shot rifle.

You would have to contact them but from what Ive seen they only make them for shotguns. I dont know if the 410 version could work. But give em a call

dave19113 said:
james 14 said:
I'd love one of these for a 45-70 single shot rifle.

You would have to contact them but from what Ive seen they only make them for shotguns. I dont know if the 410 version could work. But give em a call

Oh I doubt they do as much as I'd love to shoot smokeless or heavy BH209 charges with sabotless 458 bullets. IIRC there were some guys who had plugs custom made for this very purpose.

Latest posts

Back