Black powder pistol built on a Ruger frame?????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve egan

Reaction score
Afternoon:
I had a conversation at the local range today
and had a fellow tell me he once owned a
Black powder pistol built on a Ruger frame but
he couldn't remember the makers name. Any help
identifying this muzzleloading pistol is
appreciated.

Steve

There is also a single shot target pistol that looks to be built on a Ruger Mk I/II frame (but they arent - just looks like it) Someone posted pics of one here earlier in the year ....

There is also a single shot target pistol that looks to be built on a Ruger Mk I/II frame (but they arent - just looks like it) Someone posted pics of one here earlier in the year ....
Yes, Cimarron Lightning mk1.Looks similar to A Ruger mk1 or 2 .22cal. But are inline caplock types. I have one in
.36cal and one in .40 cal. These are my new favorites for the open division NMLRA National championships caplock events. The .40cal. Won 2023 gold. Looking forward to using the .36cal. In 2024. Barrels by Mark DeHass in the 90s. These are rare pistols. Maybe 20-30 made would be my guess. Some made to shoot .22 rimfire bullets with just 3-4grs of 4f. After my first season with these I can say my search for the best is over...

Yes, Cimarron Lightning mk1.Looks similar to A Ruger mk1 or 2 .22cal. But are inline caplock types. I have one in
.36cal and one in .40 cal. These are my new favorites for the open division NMLRA National championships caplock events. The .40cal. Won 2023 gold. Looking forward to using the .36cal. In 2024. Barrels by Mark DeHass in the 90s. These are rare pistols. Maybe 20-30 made would be my guess. Some made to shoot .22 rimfire bullets with just 3-4grs of 4f. After my first season with these I can say my search for the best is over...
I would love to see some pics of it.

The .40cal. Used in the 2023 nats is on the right. The .36 will be my primary for 2024. Both weigh at 2 3/4# with 10oz. Triggers. Fitted with Clark Ruger Mk 2 grips. My tune all around...

Attachments

• 20240114_215709.jpg
    20240114_215709.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
The .40cal. Used in the 2023 nats is on the right. The .36 will be my primary for 2024. Both weigh at 2 3/4# with 10oz. Triggers. Fitted with Clark Ruger Mk 2 grips. My tune all around...
Thank you for the pics and I am curious how
expensive these pistols are?

Steve

Steve

Steve
$ 750 in 1998 $....Today these are very rare so don't know. Over all my years I have only found these two from a former competitor buddy. They needed extensive tuning to work properly like most BP guns I have bought. After over a 2 years of tuning, giving up and then trying just once more many times I found the magic combination.

If any of y'all are handy and have the tools and whatnot... one thing to remember is you could duplicate this and only need to worry about the top half. The grip frame of the Ruger Mk I/II isn't the regulated part - the barrel/upper receiver unit is the thing you need the 4473 for. And take off bottom halves used to be fairly available.... that takes care of your trigger, hammer etc and you just need to worry about barrel, breech plug, "bolt" and firing pin...

Back