Blackhorn 209 and .032 flash hole

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsbhunter1

Reaction score
Ok, bought a new CVA Accura 1st gen. First attempt out, shot well.....went out about 3 week ago and experienced all kinds of trouble with ignition. MOST likely my fault....so i bought some old stock GM upper cylinder cleaner...poured some in a jar, and soaked for a couple days.......yes, removed a lot of crud (carbon). Just ordered a drill bit to clean out the flash channel...#32 was recommended by Blackhorn.......i have two BP's one original that has a Lehigh liner installed, and one made from a gr.8 bolt by a member of forum.....i am SERIOUSLY considering drilling out the flash hole to .032.....i understand that it increases the back pressure on the primer, but in a closed breech, is the pressure enough to be concerned about? Thanks for any help, rsbhunter

rsbhunter said:
.....i am SERIOUSLY considering drilling out the flash hole to .032..... rsbhunter

P1122364.JPG

Pictured is the breech plug i made for my Accura. I have no problems igniting BH in all kind of weather. The size of the flash hole is not a critical component in igniting BH, if the geometry of the plug is right. The picture was taken when i returned home from shooting paper in sub-zero weather. The rifle had been left loaded and dirty in the cab of the truck when the night time temperature fell to -13. The primer i used that day was the STS. My rifle works with any normal shot gun primer; it doesn't work with 777 primer, or other muzzle loader primer.

Ron,

As an experiment I tried a ML primer in my Omega. The Remington Kleanbore. It fired, but had a slight delay.

I use the CCI magnum normally, but I was surprised the ML primer worked at all for a stock breech plug.

Colorado said:
Ron,

As an experiment I tried a ML primer in my Omega. The Remington Kleanbore. It fired, but had a slight delay.

I use the CCI magnum normally, but I was surprised the ML primer worked at all for a stock breech plug.
That would surprise me too. Others have written they can use the muzzle loader primers to ignite BH. Myself, i can't; muzzle loader primers don't seem to work in my rifles, nor do small rifle primers. One thing i never got around to trying, is small rifle magnum primers.

Just wondering everyones opinion of BH209 and the old style breech plugs. I have a Optima Pro with old style breech plugs and was wondering if I need to drill into the breech plug for 209 to work. Any opinions before I buy the stuff. Not cheap here in Canada.

pbonura

Unless someone has experienced problems using BH209 with an Optima Pro, I'd give the original breech plug a good work-out on the range first before modifying it. The ol' saying applies..."If it's not broken, don't fix it."

pbonura said:
Just wondering everyones opinion of BH209 and the old style breech plugs. I have a Optima Pro with old style breech plugs and was wondering if I need to drill into the breech plug for 209 to work. Any opinions before I buy the stuff. Not cheap here in Canada.

pbonura
I had a misfire when i aimed at what looked to be a tasty doe that was not very far off of a county road. This was with an Accura using the old style breech plug loaded with BH209. This led me to come up with a couple of solutions.

The first solution was to install a ventliner, and in so doing, create a chamber in the end of the plug.

accurabpwvent.jpg

The plug standing right of an OEM plug, works reliably with BH. This modification also entails enlarging and tapping the flame channel. If one does this to an OEM plug, it will never never hangfire in any kind of weather using any regular shotgun primer.

................................................................................................................................................................

Another solution is to make a plug from a grade 8 bolt. A homemade plug is shown standing next to an OEM plug.

accurabpno2.jpg

accurabpno.jpg

A key to igniting BH in CVA rifles, is to use a plug that has a powder chamber. This reduces the volume of powder which first receives the flame from the primer, and makes it easier to ignite. In the years that have passed since i began using plugs like these, i have never experienced a hiccup, in all kinda weather, whether it be sub-zero, wet, or whatever; using any primer, in a clean or dirty rifle.

+1 on Ron's plugs. If you are having ignition problems his modified or homemade plugs will be 100% reliable using BH209.

ronlaughlin,

Nice Post and great pics! Did you retain the OEM flash hole in your custon plugs, or did you open it up a bit :?:

Marty said:
ronlaughlin,

Nice Post and great pics! Did you retain the OEM flash hole in your custon plugs, or did you open it up a bit :?:
If memory serves correctly, i believe the OEM flash hole is 0.030". The flash hole i normally like to use, and produce is 0.028". Through this past winter, i never once had ignition issues with BH using a 0.028" flash hole. The recycling folks here in town, received many empty BH bottles from our bin these past 2 winters.

In my opinion, the 'key' or 'secret' is the powder chamber If there is a chamber on a breech plug, it will work igniting BH, no matter what the size of the flash hole, or the flash channel.

I agree with Ron. Drilling out the flash hole will not necessarily solve the problem. In my Accura V1 I had no problem firing BH209. Then at FG's advice and others I drilled the flash hole to .035 and had immediate hangfire, no- fires and severe blowback. Nothing but trouble. I then contacted Ron and acquired one of his BP's and I have had no problems since. I believe the powder pockets is the real key, not flash hole size.

adjusting the firing pin bushing seals up the blow back. Thats what causes a good portion of hang fires. Most of my plugs are .032 - .035" with no blow back and zero hang fires.

I have an Optima with a 45 barrel and a 50 barrel 45 breech plug always functioned great but I had to drill out the 50 to get consistent ignition. The absolute best breech plug for Blackhorn 209 is the one that Rossi supplies with their muzzloader deep cavity and the primer literally sits on the powder.

I have an Accura V2 and plan to purchase the Blackhorn Breech Plug for shooting loose powders. What size drill bits do I need for cleaning both the OEM plug (which is great for pelltets) and what size do I need for the BH plug?

Any idea where to get the 1/8" with 60 degree taper? I have looked all over and can't find any. If you have a link that would be good too.

Yeah, call the guys at Blackhorn directly.

I got the drill bits AND my new BH209 breech plug for my new Optima directly from them.

Goods guys to deal with and very informative if you take the time to ask them questions.

Get 2 drill bits, I did.

I got the BH209 breech plug when it first came out and I already use the o-rings they are including also. I have a drill bit (don't know the size) that fits down in and has been working fine. I just wanted to see the difference in the two bits because I know mine is nothing special.

Back