Blackhorn 209 and powerbelts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I want to be dead on at 100 yrds shooting 80 grains where should I be at 50
You asked a similar question back in January using 100gr. Did you ever shoot the 100gr load at 100yd to see? That is the only way to know. Anything else is just a guess.

Does that make sense to anyone????????
Ive yet to see a PRB with a huge hollow point and/or a plastic tip in it. There are plenty of pics/reviews on the net of PBs that turned into tiny fragments on impact. Poor sectional density with a huge HP soft lead at high speed is not a winning combination for good penetration.

Ive yet to see a PRB with a huge hollow point and/or a plastic tip in it. There are plenty of pics/reviews on the net of PBs that turned into tiny fragments on impact. Poor sectional density with a huge HP soft lead at high speed is not a winning combination for good penetration.
I've never hunted with power belt bullets but I have read that if you slow them down, they work better. Don't know if that's true or not?

Power belts can be made to work good, but to do so with consistency you must keep the velocity down and place your shot carefully. I had problems when I tried to shoot the old original 245 gr. with 110 gr. of RS but when I switch to 295 gr. 75 gr. of RS they did fine. I changed to what I consider a better bullet at a much better price after I became a bit more knowledgeable.

I came across a similar question on another forum whose thought was using 100-110 gr of RS with the heavier Power belt bullet (290 gr) especially for elk, bear, etc. Mind sharing what better bullet you found?

The PRB , and I hear they quit making them, but I caught a close out sale and now I have a 50 cal. amo. can just about full of them at a fraction of the normal price. When I can use a sabot I shoot the Lehigh 250 gr [the first one ] it has bone the best job for me since they started making them years ago.

I've scoured the internet and went to the PowerBelt site and can't find anything about being discontinued. I can't use sabots for hunting in Colorado and don't want to shoot straight lead conicals. CVA says PRBs are their bullet of choice and leave less residue between shots so you can shoot upto 10 rnds without having to field clean the barrel after every shot. I've been practicing with them and they are great. Does anyone else have any more info on these being discontinued?

I've scoured the internet and went to the PowerBelt site and can't find anything about being discontinued. I can't use sabots for hunting in Colorado and don't want to shoot straight lead conicals. CVA says PRBs are their bullet of choice and leave less residue between shots so you can shoot upto 10 rnds without having to field clean the barrel after every shot. I've been practicing with them and they are great. Does anyone else have any more info on these being discontinued?

I think theres some confusion there. I think of PRBs as Patched Round Balls. PBs as PowerBelts. Although PRB could be Precision Rifle Bullets? Any way, which PowerBelt, specifically, are you trying to find? What weight? Im assuming .50 cal?

CVA says PRBs are their bullet of choice and leave less residue between shots
That is a myth and really an outright lie on CVAs part. They want you to buy PBs for well over a dollar a piece. Some of the newest PBs are nearly $2 each. You can get a Fury Customs Bullets full bore for less. They are at least a bonded jacketed bullet made to handle heavy loads.
https://www.furycustombullets.com/webapp/p/223/black-powder-muzzleloader
I can load all day long with sabots and lead conicals or land riders using BH209. CVA is full of it. Its all marketing BS.

Do they still sell the .50 Cal 405 Gr Power Belts? I’ve had friends Hunt Colorado with Mixed results with these. One might Pencil through & next might Grenade on a Shoulder?

I’m with michiganmuzzy I think of PRBs as Patched Round Balls. What PRBs are Discontinued? Do they mean the Hornady FPBs?

I've never hunted with power belt bullets but I have read that if you slow them down, they work better. Don't know if that's true or not?

All powerbelts except the platinums are designed for use with non-magnum loads (100g or less powder). Platinum powerbelts are designed for use with magnum loads (over 100g powder). I have no experience with the newer Powerbelt ELRs, so I cannot comment on those.

If you have been practicing with them, they shoot great, then i highly suggest using them on your hunting trip.

You know how they work in your gun and it is one lesd variable to deal with.

All powerbelts except the platinums are designed for use with non-magnum loads (100g or less powder). Platinum powerbelts are designed for use with magnum loads (over 100g powder). I have no experience with the newer Powerbelt ELRs, so I cannot comment on those.

I would like to suggest that this statement is right on point! With to much velocity the PB's can blow up - especially at the closer ranges.

If you have time and you can find them the new Hornady 290's could/would be a positive step ahead.

Hornady 290 Gr FTX Bore Driver Bullets | Modern Muzzleloader Muzzleloading Forum

^^^^^^ This!!!

There are so many nuances to shooting projectiles at game via muzzle loaders... I try to give advice that works and simplifies the problem. To me, that answer has always been to use Sabots and Jacketed Hollow Points from a reputable manufacture. That advice is legal in 48 states and Canada. Jacketed handgun bullets fired from sabots just work, and work with every choice of powder.

But it isn't legal every where, and for some that generic recipe is hard to load (probably due to choice of sabot/bore/projectile diameter, dexterity, hand-strength, tools, techniques, perception, etc)... but it does seem to simplify the problem overall and yield consistent results... both on loading, shooting, and terminal performance in game... in most rifles.

Alas, there is always freedom of choice, and some chose not to use Sabots/Jacketed handgun bullets. And I support that.

I do -hope- to get my hands on the Hornady Bore Drivers, and I -hope- that they become a simple effective no sabot/jacked hand gun bullet solution, that is easy to load/use (for those who don't like or legally cannot use sabots), and effective on game under most every variable shooters can throw at them. (ie also seals well enough to be reliable with BH209, and has great terminal performance at high & low speed... hitting bone eary/late on its ride through the game animal... etc).

Bottom line for me, is that I cannot recommend a projectile to customers when it has large performance realms that are lacking... just because its easy to load and readily available doesn't make it the best choice... though it may be the best choice of what you have available.

my .02USD

Tom

Back