blackhorn 209 vs triple 7 pellets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packerbacker

Reaction score
hello

thanks to all of you who have chimed in on my selecting my first muzzleloader and for the kind welcome into this forum. nice to know i will have help as i learn what muzzleloading is all about. i got the t/c triumph last week and have spent a few days making a list of supplies. many have said the triple 7 pellets should be my powder of choice, mainly i think for convienance. i came across some reviews of powder done by randy wakeman. seems to me the blackhorn 209 would be a better choice for many reasons. easier to clean, accuracy, eliminates crud buildup and do not have to swab as much at the range, less corrosive and better for the gun, ect. seemed like he favored this despite the convienance of the pellets. any thoughts or recommendations ??

thank you - mitch

Without arguement, BlackHorn209 is a GREAT POWDER. It is clean buring, hard hitting, and easy to clean up. Just stay away from water. In fact if you go that route, get some Montana X-treme Cowboy Solvent and it will take the BH209 right out of the barrel.

Some people had crud build up in there breech plugs fire channel when they shot it. I personally did not have that problem. I really enjoyed the powder.

Load a tight fitting sabot, compress it good onto the powder charge, and use a hot primer and it will do just fine. You can shoot time after time without swabbing between shots.

Triple Seven powder is a good powder also. The pellets are easy to use, but you do have to swab between shots. The reason I would favor the Triple Seven over the BlackHorn is simple.. one I can get locally without ordering it. I have to order BlackHorn or have it picked up and brought to me. Both are good powders. You could not go wrong with them.

Get some shockwaves in the 200 & 250 range with the black sabots and shoot that BH209. I think you will like it. What store near you sells it?

If you have BH209 locally, I would shoot that and nothing else through your new gun.

packerbacker

BH is without a doubt the best BP sub on the market... T7 pellets may be the easiest way to get started shooting. The price of shooting pellets and shooting loose BH is very close and if you are willing to pay that price then I would definitely go BH. If you feel confident and have someone that can help you get started then using loose powder really is the way to go IMO.

Using BH does involve a bit of an additional learning curve only because it requires extra care to get the ignition that you need to make things work

Start with tripple seven or pyrodex and then you can actually appreciate BH when you get some. If you just start out with Bh your gonna miss some of the muzzle loading experience. I use Bh for hunting and pyro and triple seven on the range to play around with.

packerbacker:
If you can aford it go with BH, I'm useing T7 ffg now at $21 a lb, BH is going for $33 for 10 oz big difference. I will be geting Schockly gold at $18 a lb next time so shop around.

forest said:
packerbacker:
If you can aford it go with BH, I'm useing T7 ffg now at $21 a lb, BH is going for $33 for 10 oz big difference. I will be geting Schockly gold at $18 a lb next time so shop around.

doesn't the shockey gold suck though?

Shockey Gold is not a bad powder. It does like to absord water so be careful how you hunt and target shoot with it. Some people get excellent accuracy with it. Others not at all.

SG is a very clean powder. Easy to clean up. And of moderate power. Many powders are more powerful then it and produce better velocity with identical powder charge. Also the 2f is a very course powder and so lot of people shoot 3f. Also be sure to compress the load well when you load it.

As for compressing it I have alwas have even BP I was told that was one of the best ways to keep from having an air pocket between the charge, and projectile.

hello from wisconsin. had a beautiful day today and was excited about shooting. too bad i am not ready yet for the muzzleloader. nontheless, i went to gander mtn to stock up. asked again about the bh209 and only one person said he knew about it. he said he though it was good but still chooses the triple 7. all the gun guys and smiths shoot triple 7 w/ the same load, primer, sabots and bullets. all with great sucess. and they all say with the triumph i should be no different with a bit of practice. i'm a little scared on the bh209 price with haz-mat charge (cant seem to find it around central wi) so i went with triple 7. got the loose instead of the pellets however. got it for 17.00. i guess i'll have a little wotk to do between shots, but at least i can shoot it next time. i welcome any more thoughts as well as a between shot routine for preparing the gun for the next shot. thanks. hope all of you are well and shooting straight.

mitch

packerbacker said:
i guess i'll have a little wotk to do between shots, but at least i can shoot it next time.
mitch

As far as work between loads, I would say to find some load tubes to use, then fill at home. Then less worry about leaving a spark in the barrel to blow up. I just recieved some tubes (vials) from Lane. (A regular poster here) He sales them on ebay and in the classified on this site. Get both small and large tubes with different color caps. Then you can load four different charges to try for a visit to the range. You can also pay more and order from any of the main muzzleloading manufacters.

Just a suggestion.

Dave

Latest posts

Back