Blackhorn in cartridges?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white eagle

Reaction score
Has anyone experiment with blackhorn 209 in cartridge cases?
Say a 45-70 or any other black powder cartridge

I see no reason to shoot any cartridge gun with a BP substitute. If it is an originally BP round (45LC, 45-70 etc) then either load BP or bp safe loads using regular smokeless (at a fraction of the cost of either real BP or any of the alternates just based on amount of powder used and cost of smokeless vs BP/subs)

I see no reason to shoot any cartridge gun with a BP substitute. If it is an originally BP round (45LC, 45-70 etc) then either load BP or bp safe loads using regular smokeless (at a fraction of the cost of either real BP or any of the alternates just based on amount of powder used and cost of smokeless vs BP/subs)
Agreed. I didnt have any smokeless powders or real black at the time i was loading bh209 in .45colts. That’s what got me really started on the path to replace bh209 with other smokeless powders.

Agreed. I didnt have any smokeless powders or real black at the time i was loading bh209 in .45colts. That’s what got me really started on the path to replace bh209 with other smokeless powders.
I'd look at TiteGroup. Low pressure, low gas volume, great for poofter loads, not position sensitive in the case, available and BassPro/Cabelas carries it if you have one of them local to you. Quick check of my favorite reference (https://shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/45-colt/) shows max loads no larger than 7.something grains so you are looking at 1000 rounds per pound. Even at $40/lb after tax that is .... cheap.

Ok. Wasn’t meant as a criticism. Wouldn’t it be just as good to us as smokeless? Certainly cheaper.
I felt no jab in the ribs, sir.
I was just letting everyone know that I'm not trying save all of my money for my three daughters [33, 32, & 27].
Since BH 209 behaves like U.S. manufactured primers [primers don't age, according to CCI's top chemist], I just may purchase 5lbs in a few months.

It is actually $80 for 8 ounce jugs around here. They sort of priced themselves out of the market. But then smokeless powders are going for $50 for a pound now too.
But the good thing about smokeless is you get twice as much and usually use 25% of the amount of bh209 for the same performance.

When you all use smokeless do you use a filler like corn meal or cream of wheat? Or nothing? If nothing ever have a pressure spike?

I use titegroup powder and no fillers are required. When I want a hot load for my strong action 45colt rifles the case is full of imr 4759 actually slightly compressed with a 300gr speer bullet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back